• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More hobby conundrums . . .

Steve123

3 Year Member
Yesterday I posted some questions regarding WC versus CB. I wanted a general sense of everybody's view. From the responses, I got the sense people here are in general agreement: CB over WC, but WC is necessary for breeding stock.

I'm with everyone regarding WC versus CB as stated above. In the past few years, while arranging legal imports from Canada and Europe, I've become aware of the collection of WC tarantulas and egg sacs from countries that have either banned wildlife export (e.g. Costa Rica, Brazil) or have CITES in effect (Mexico). The species involved in these particular cases are Megaphobema mesomelas, Grammostola pulchra, and red-legged Brachypelma. They eventually make their way to the EU, and finally, the US, the largest market for tarantulas in the world. Why these species? They are all desirable, are all difficult to breed (some more than others), and are all slow-growing or somewhat difficult to raise (M. mesomelas).

What would y'all think or recommend with regard to the species mentioned above? Do you know of other instances? I for one was particularly surprised to hear G. pulchra was on the list. Marketing forces affecting red-legged Brachypelma and M. mesomelas I think are known more widely.

Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The export ban on G pulchra was a decision by the Brazilian government as a preemptive effort. Though I know German breeders are still getting them out of the country; I have one of their females. They could not get her to breed, so she was sold to a US importer.
At the time of the transaction I was led to believe she was CB.

Steve123

3 Year Member
Thanks @Scoolman. I am in absolute agreement with you, Germans, Poles, and Dutch among others, are still getting gravid females and WC sacs out of the southern Uruguay and Brazil. Whether I'd call them breeders is perhaps just semantics, but I think we'd agree they collect in order to have one generation of sacs, with breeding taking place in the wild. Next year, same thing over again.

Lastly, it is a bit sad to have this discussion, this post, nested in a flurry of posts by hobbyists proudly displaying their new G. pulchra or B. smithi sling. But methinks, they know not what they do. Maybe we should have a subforum for conscientious objectors <jk>.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I couldn't pass them up. Got 2 of the pulchra from petcenter usa and 1 B. smithi. Smithi has been on my most wanted list since i started, i couldn't pass him up again ;)

Steve123

3 Year Member
I couldn't pass them up. Got 2 of the pulchra from petcenter usa and 1 B. smithi. Smithi has been on my most wanted list since i started, i couldn't pass him up again ;)
Sure, I understand. To picture the scope of the problem, just multiply you by ten thousand or so. It's America's insatiable appetite for these critters, and its ability to turn a blind eye towards how we get them, that is the single greatest factor in creating the market for the illegal. "I wanted one, my son wanted one, my wife wanted, one, my neighbor has one . . . x 10,000."
As for me, I won't be offering any of the above species until they are captive bred, truly captive bred. I've withdrawn the ones I posted for sale and will place them all in personal collection for breeding, success or fail. We live and learn, most of us, anyway, with any hope.

Latest posts