• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More depth to keeping t's

Heering80

Does anyone else have this problem with these arachnoforums, that it would be nice to discuss something T-related stuff here, and maybe find some in-depth knowledge about T's, but can't figure out anything worth saying for and 99% of threads are beginner questions of some sort? I mean these forums are a great media for learning the basics and it's a good thing. But, keeping T's is quite simple, and maybe that is part of my problem. It would be nice to find something beyond that, because they are such marvelous creatures.. Genuinely I'm not trying to piss anyone off here. But they as they are so exiting, I feel that there should be more to it than just showing of the latest molts or telling what's going to be your next purchase?

There is one user, either here or at arachnoboards, that has nice stories about T's in his familys history and traditions. They are nice to read and make it more meaningfull to have them as pets. Would it maybe be worth it to start a section for "tarantula myths and history" for example? For it to be a success, though, there would have to be people with such stories. But there might be idk. Now it's mostly people asking quick questions to what ever they might be fearing at the moment without even searching the answer first.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I seem to remember seeing threads like that on here in the past, maybe it just needs someone to start a new one.

Salatia

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you think a section for those things matters?

Forum sections represent a collection of discussions around a related theme or set of topics within the scope of whatever the forum is related to. Then others exist to represent 'everything else'. Most hobbies will have a number that are effectively pre-determined to some degree, but then due to the commonly shared characteristics of a forum's users or those most often involved in the hobby others will be added to accommodate things that are frequently discussed and receive either a good volume of posts or are found to cover crucial information for users that benefits from being signposted.

Point being, the suggestion of a new area seems very 'cart before the horse', with regards to your complaint. The way to get more of the content you are interested in is to contribute it. People see a format they like, or a post reminds them of something, and they might then share similar. But this also requires engagement as people won't share things they don't think anyone will be interested in. Or ask things they think nobody will answer. So threads with little to no response can be discouraging. I hope, given this, that you're engaging with the individual posting the things you're so interested in.

Create the content you want to see, engage in the conversation when others produce it, and you're much more likely to see more of it. Far more than if a moderator added a random section to the forum. Posts take time, as do replies, and people have a lot of things that can fill their time. Including the fascinating pets they have. Not everyone has the time to write about things they're interested in, but again they're much more likely to when there's incentive - other people taking an interest, responding just to say thanks, even just emotes - not everyone finds sharing alone rewarding. Those that do, when receiving little to no response repeatedly - and with the slight mental hyperactivity that often comes with having an interest that strong - will come to believe they are sharing too much because they seem to be starting many threads but are the only one talking in them, or going on too much because they overexplain due to wanting to be thorough but then worry its off putting, or that people simply aren't interested in the sorts of things that they themselves find interesting...

So yeah, be the change you want to see.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is an Introductions section where new members can introduce themselves, some just say hello others like to tell us about themselves and their other interests.
We also have an Off Topic Chat section where members can post thread on whatever subject they choose.

Salatia

So you don't think this is me trying be the change?
You're asking others to do. I'm saying I think you misunderstand how forums work. Making a section won't make people write the content. People will write it if there's interest. Can't see there's interest if noone ever writes that content. A section could come out of it if it became a big thing, but making one now wouldn't do anything. The stuff you mention has plenty of places it could go.

If you want that content, 'being the change' means writing that stuff. If you don't think you have anything interesting to say, then you see others might feel the same. But noone knows unless they share. :) BTW sorry if my post came across harshly its not intended that way, I'm just typically forthright. And have been around forums a lot

Heering80

... BTW sorry if my post came across harshly its not intended that way, I'm just typically forthright. And have been around forums a lot
It's ok, you made me think of some harsh thoughts there, but took a deep breath..

Look, I got a new blondi in the mail today. It's a female.

IMG_20220926_190251-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20220926_190251-01-01.jpeg

Latest posts