• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

more decisions

coloratovillosus or carapoensis

• coloratovillosus

• carapoensis

Results are only viewable after voting.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was talking to my son last night about my want to get a scorpion and found out he's terrified of them. So no scorpions for me, at least until he leaves for college.

But on the flip side, he wants another T or 2, so i get to pick out a couple for myself also :D

I've found an L. itabunae 1/2" on KTBG and want to get a Nhandu species also, but i can't decide between the carapoensis or the coloratovillosus. I'm leaning toward the coloratovillosus as i already have 3 red butt Brachys ;)

Basic care i've found across various of these awesome care sheets </sarcasm> is semi moist sub as a sling for burrowing, then dry sub and "make rain" as juvie/adults. I see they can also be defensive but not really aggressive.

Any tips or other things i should know about these?

I'll be placing an order for these on the 27th :) i can't wait for it get here!

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I voted for coloratovillosus mainly because I own one. Very good eater, I keep it like I do my other terrestrials. She is a hair kicker though so be warned! And she is surprisingly fast as well.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ken has L. itabunae? Sweet! So glad to hear that someone is grabbing up one of these. I love my female. and I've been keeping an eye out for slings.

As for which Nhandu to choose, I would lean toward the coloratovillosus our of the two as well, although I'm a huge chromatus fan if they have them. :)

syzygy

3 Year Member
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought he was the one who originally wanted a tarantula and you were hesitant because you were afraid of spiders. Seems ironic that the table has now turned.

If you've not had a Nhandu I'd probably go with the coloratovillosus. I had one after college and still remember it being one of my favorites. My next Nhandu, though, will be a tripepii.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ken has L. itabunae? Sweet! So glad to hear that someone is grabbing up one of these. I love my female. and I've been keeping an eye out for slings.

As for which Nhandu to choose, I would lean toward the coloratovillosus our of the two as well, although I'm a huge chromatus fan if they have them. :)
Quick question.
I have a Nhandu chromatus, everything I read, research tells me these are reasonable growth rate T's. Got mine the same time I got five other slings .25-.5 inches on all of them. All the others are growing. They have all grown well and are visibly changing. All well over an inch some at two inches. My nhandu, although it molts, has molted four times for me. Doesn't look any larger then it was. I keep my babies warm and offer food every other day when tiny. Both pre-killed and live pinhead on occasion, it usually eats twice a week. Active and healthy looking just very very small, opinions? Beginning to wonder if it's even a Nhandu. :(
image.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You already have a chromatus kormath?
No I don't have any Nhandu yet. I was looking at the chromatus but i like the coloring of the coloratovillosus better. Plus the ones Ken has for sale are 1/4" not sure i want to start that small again ;) although i do have feeders now for the tiny slings. Ken has 2 Lasiodora sp., the itabunae and klugi. My son is also looking at getting a couple more of the big "bird eater" sized Ts so i'm trying to sell him on the other Nhandu and Lasiodora ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quick question.
I have a Nhandu chromatus, everything I read, research tells me these are reasonable growth rate T's. Got mine the same time I got five other slings .25-.5 inches on all of them. All the others are growing. They have all grown well and are visibly changing. All well over an inch some at two inches. My nhandu, although it molts, has molted four times for me. Doesn't look any larger then it was. I keep my babies warm and offer food every other day when tiny. Both pre-killed and pinhead on occasion, it usually eats twice a week. Active and healthy looking just very very small, opinions? Beginning to wonder if it's even a Nhandu. :(
View attachment 16479 View attachment 16480
If it makes you feel better, I have a genic at 3" maximum and she's over 2 years old. Try increasing the temp, it should stimulate activity and feeding, if you get impatient:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it makes you feel better, I have a genic at 3" maximum and she's over 2 years old. Try increasing the temp, it should stimulate activity and feeding, if you get impatient:)
Not impatient so much as I was worried at the non-existant growth rate. Seems healthy enough. I'll put it closer to the warm spot. See if it helps. I was concerned as it seems like they always say good growth rate. Only thing slower is my A.hentzi but I expected that one to be slow lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So my parents sent birthday money as they do every year :) i'll be ordering the N. colorvitollosus and L. itabunae tomorrow when the deposit clears the bank. Should have the new guys Tuesday :) Now i have to find the spare enclosures i had set aside and their lids.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both have arrived live and well and tiny! I forgot how small a 1/2" dls sling was lol.

Here's the L. itabunae I think they look identical at this size. Good thing I labeled the enclosures before hand.
20160601_173516.jpg

And the N. coloratovillosus.
20160601_173706.jpg

The Nhandu is fast for a tiny sling. He made a break for freedom across the table lol going to have to watch him

Latest posts