• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting again??

Calico

3 Year Member
Cal, my 2.5" A.Chalcodes molted in July after sealing itself in burrow for about a month. I have not been able to retrieve that molt as he's very protective of the burrow when he's out. Since I haven't been able to check it out, I will continue to say "he".

He started pushing out substrate again and has now disappeared back into the burrow (haven't seen him in about 4 days). Last feeding was about 5 days ago.

Is it possible he is molting again?? Seems a little close together but I don't know how often they do this. I was going to put another cricket in just to see if he would come out and eat but don't want to chance if he is molting and the cricket gets in the burrow.

I guess I'll just bide my time and hope this one doesn't take another month like the last one.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cal, my 2.5" A.Chalcodes molted in July after sealing itself in burrow for about a month. I have not been able to retrieve that molt as he's very protective of the burrow when he's out. Since I haven't been able to check it out, I will continue to say "he".

He started pushing out substrate again and has now disappeared back into the burrow (haven't seen him in about 4 days). Last feeding was about 5 days ago.

Is it possible he is molting again?? Seems a little close together but I don't know how often they do this. I was going to put another cricket in just to see if he would come out and eat but don't want to chance if he is molting and the cricket gets in the burrow.

I guess I'll just bide my time and hope this one doesn't take another month like the last one.
depends on feeding, temps, humidity, etc. If there was any damage during the last molt it may be an early molt to repair it. They're burrowers though, so it may just be digging to dig.

Calico

3 Year Member
depends on feeding, temps, humidity, etc. If there was any damage during the last molt it may be an early molt to repair it. They're burrowers though, so it may just be digging to dig.

Has been eating about 2 med/large crickets a week. And voraciously! I didn't notice any damage, he looked and acted normal. And usually comes out at night if he's hiding during the day. But he hasn't been out (I have camera on him). As for temp/humidity, well, it is So Cal so these vary daily ;) but the room he's in stays pretty consistent. However, we are having another heat wave this week so he may be trying to keep cooler. Has plenty of water.

Thank you for your input and I'll just let him be and see what happens. And what emerges when he does!

Latest posts