• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting advice

Ben84

3 Year Member
Hi I am pretty new to the world of tarantulas getting my first T 8 months ago. I now have three in total.

My first T was a young Chaco golden knee. It jolted without a problem 6 months ago and is in the process of molting again, but appears to be having significant difficulty.

I am convinced it is in premolt due to the very black abdomen, lethargic nature and refusal to eat for three months. I then found my T laying on its back on December 25th expecting it to molt. However, on the 26th it had inverted as though it had given up. It did the same on the 27th and 28th. Since then the T has remained normal way up but with very little movement just lifting legs occasionally.

I have noticed today that the carapace has started to lift up in front of the abdomen but literally a couple of mm in 24 hours.

I fear unless already doing so the new exoskeleton will harden and the T will become trapped in its old body.

I have been maintaining a humid environment in its enclosure, but could really use some advice as to what else if anything I can do.

Thanks

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like it will be doing an upright molt. Keep the humidity up, like you are doing, be patient, and hope for the best.

Latest posts