• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mold

Howli

Hey everyone. Today at the morning I checked on my Haplopelma Lividum, and everything was okay. When I came home from school 5 hours later, suddenly there was a mold in her burrow.. I got her out of there and now there is a mold on her legs and she barely moves when I touch her.... Does she have a chance? Like, when I touch her abdomen few times, she can react fast, but when I touch her kegs, nothing.. will she survive? How do I clean the mold from her legs? Please, I got her just yesterday and she is too young to die..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have you rehoused it or is it still I the container that you got it in? How wet is the substrate?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I strongly suspect (can't quite prove it) that mold caused fecal impaction and killed my M balfouri, which had extensive burrows with wide spread mold inside.

See if you can get it to eat, maybe a horn worm or an Earth worm, which are easier to kill then other feeders. Put it fangs first into a shallow water dish if possible.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Full disclosure: I don't own this species, but that's what I'd do with any of mine in that situation.

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
It sounds like she should be fine, my tarantula doesn't react to having her legs touched and responds to having her abdomen touched as well, clean her enclosure, use new substrate, clean her things and use a wet paint brush or damp cloth and brush down her legs. mold shouldn't affect a T that quickly.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In general, mold is irritating to Ts. They often try to avoid it as result. Most mold species do not hurt tarantulas (in the rainforest, some species deal with it all of the time.). Just like for humans, some molds can cause disease (aspergillosis, mucormycosis etc.). I have been told, but I don’t know, that certain strains of yellow mold can be toxic to tarantulas. Mold ON the tarantula is not an issue unless it is taken hold inside. As per Ennie, simply transfer your T to another container and remove all hides/fake plants etc (these can also harbor mold). Rest assured, your T should be fine.

Latest posts