• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moisture control for A. avicularia

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I will be receiving my first Pink toes this week and am excited for my first Arboreals! I am wondering about moisture in the terrarium. Normally I lightly mist my terrestrial T's enclosure like once a week (depending on genus & only in one small area). I have been reading "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" written by Stanley & Marguerite Schultz. They frown upon the use of any misting of a terrarium for moisture, even slings. I have read and observed many other T keepers utilizing this method and especially with Arboreal species. I want to make sure I am providing the best environment for my Ts. Any thoughts on this? I appreciate and respect advice/insight from experienced avicularia keepers.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Actually, a lot of moisture and humidity can kill an Avicularia or relative (Ybyrapora, Caribena) so it's best not to mist. Keep their water dish full, over flow it just a little once a week. Their substrate should be mostly dry and they need a lot of cross ventilation on the sides of their enclosure. You can spritz or dribble water onto their webbing every few days to offer them a drink, but other than that avoid moisture.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Should a sling A. Avic. have a water dish available in their enclosure? I've read mixed reviews.. I went ahead and glued one close to the top so it's easily accessible for me and them, but don't want any mishaps.

Lee. M

3 Year Member
Should a sling A. Avic. have a water dish available in their enclosure? I've read mixed reviews.. I went ahead and glued one close to the top so it's easily accessible for me and them, but don't want any mishaps.
Absolutely. All tarantulas of all sizes should have a water dish.
As mentioned by Miss Moxie - dribbling a small amount of water (I use a pipette or turkey baster, depending on size) on their web is an effective way of making sure they find water.
Cross ventilation is the key with Avics, and this can't be emphasised enough.I use plastic storage jars and go nuts with a soldering iron to make the holes.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Latest posts