• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Mild" threat posture, or just hovering legs?

goldenpumpkin

So to give y'all some background information, my tarantula's personality is very docile, and he doesn't kick hairs, slap the ground, bite, etc when startled, but rather he responds to getting startled by either flinching, hiding under his legs, or at most a small bolt. Well, as @Arachnoclown suggested, I have been making sure to keep his favorite corner nice and moist (because he's a mature male). Unfortunately in order to do this, I have to coax him out of the corner with a makeup brush (can't exactly wet the corner with him in the way!), which I assume he doesn't appreciate. Well, today he showed me this behavior, with his two frontmost legs raised somewhat, and as the title states, I need to know whether or not it is a mild threat posture so I know how to handle it if it happens again. My second question is, is it worth it to be disturbing him like this every time I need to wet his corner?? I just feel so bad for bothering him :( but if it's for his own good, then I guess I shouldn't feel bad. Also you might not be able to see it in this pic but one of his pedipalps is all small and underdeveloped and for some reason I just feel the need to bring that to y'all's attention, in case it's of any importance. Thank you ^^

Attachments

• PXL_20210906_014936988.png
    PXL_20210906_014936988.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 28

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doesn't look like a threat pose to me. I wouldn't worry about the small palp. Just like human males, one sex organ is enough to do the job. Personally, I WOULD wet the corner. He might not like it, but he will move if it bothers him.

Get that boy a girlfriend, he is quite handsome!

goldenpumpkin

Doesn't look like a threat pose to me. I wouldn't worry about the small palp. Just like human males, one sex organ is enough to do the job. Personally, I WOULD wet the corner. He might not like it, but he will move if it bothers him.

Get that boy a girlfriend, he is quite handsome!
That's good to hear, tysm!! And I agree, he's very handsome. In regards to getting him a girlfriend, I do not know whether he is the true form curly or the hobby form curly, and I know it's frowned upon to "muddy" the bloodline so to speak... Do you have any thoughts on that?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's good to hear, tysm!! And I agree, he's very handsome. In regards to getting him a girlfriend, I do not know whether he is the true form curly or the hobby form curly, and I know it's frowned upon to "muddy" the bloodline so to speak... Do you have any thoughts on that?
He is hobby form. He could breed with either, but purists would want a Honduran female.

x_raphael_xx

I’ve got one of these water bottles.
You can direct the stream a little easier so the T doesn’t get stressed with a sudden face full of water from a spray bottle.
D04A2E6A-A72C-44B7-8337-BB353A2B2206.jpeg

Got it off Amazon :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’ve got one of these water bottles.
You can direct the stream a little easier so the T doesn’t get stressed with a sudden face full of water from a spray bottle.
View attachment 59416
Got it off Amazon :)
I took a heat gun to one of those bottles I bought off of Amazon and made the spout point down towards the ground

@goldenpumpkin that is nowhere near a threat posture. You'll know when you get one

JACEY

Funny how their timing might be off from human timing. I nudge my Avic out of the way when I have time to change water dish. Haha she kindly moves with the nudges. If behaves resistant I let her be and do my business later or another day.

Love the that posture pics!! They are serious like ssssssssss. Lol

Latest posts