• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet "cuppy"

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Introducing "cuppy" . I believe it's a tiger salamander. Found at my work on a job site. Since it was no longer safe for cuppy there it came home with me. My 4 year old daughter fell in love. And watched over cuppy diligently as I prepared its enclosure. Cuppy spent the first few hours exploring, much to my daughter's delight, then finally dug into the substrate. 20201029_175856.jpg20201029_175910.jpg

Introducing "cuppy" . I believe it's a tiger salamander. Found at my work on a job site. Since it was no longer safe for cuppy there it came home with me. My 4 year old daughter fell in love. And watched over cuppy diligently as I prepared its enclosure. Cuppy spent the first few hours exploring, much to my daughter's delight, then finally dug into the substrate. View attachment 51054View attachment 51055
Yes, you have a tiger salamander.
I'm sure your daughter must be thrilled with her new little amphibian puppy named Cuppy!
I raised one successfully in a large terrarium. Not sure how deep the substrate is, but they like it deep. I would increase the amount of loose loamy soil. Then I would find a patch of moss nearby and slice your shovel through the soil and lift it out undisturbed to lay in your tank. It can be the same hight as the water dish top for ease of entry. I'd make the soil depth at least fist deep. A little bit of moisture gradient too. One side damper and the other dryer, but sufficient for the moss to thrive.

Keep the moss slightly damp, but not excessively. Use a hygrometer to keep humidity between 70-80 % in there. Temperature and stress can lead to being off feed. Room temperature thats comfortable with you is normally good for them. Hibernation can undergo a cooling cycle, but you'll need to look that up.

Causes of Stress:

1. Wild caught....need time to acclimate.
2. Handling
3. Improper Temperature
4. Pets
5. Noise, including music
6. Light
7. Lack of preferred hide
For that you can peel a section of bark off of deadfall.
SEE My long post for Ts on the subject applies as everything, including tap water is absorbed through the skin.

Food:
Just about any live thing that will fit into their big mouth
HOWEVER, MAKE SURE THAT ITS BOWELS ARE EVACUATED BEFORE GOING INTO HIBERNATION. Otherwise, death can occur from digestive toxins.
Make sure you see feces and a little more time to make sure. Keep temp at room temperature during this time and all should be well. After sufficient time for digestion, then a cooling phase can occur. I'm not sure what temp, but certainly well above freezing. Mine was kept at cool room temperature through the winter and was fine. However it was very conditioned prior to. Keeping stress down so it can rest well undisturbed will likely help more than anything.

Lastly, keep the water dish extra clean. Fresh water is always a must. Your shallow glass dish looks good.
Salmonella and other bacteria is an environmental rather than species specific concern. You probably already know about the tiny turtle law about pet stores not allowed to sell them as pets. Reportedly that's because young children like to handle them and often put their fingers in their mouths. I never liked the law, but thought that parents should instead be informed about that concern and act accordingly. I'm sure you do having raised plenty of Ts. I'd also be especially aware of friends that visit.

There's a good chance that it will be fine following the simple instructions. Tiger salamanders are very hardy and a treasure to find.

Hope this helps and your little girl is blessed by her new friend.