• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Me when I get a new tarantula

Tnoob

FB_IMG_1561695127714.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H pulchripes and M balfouri are super fast & it's to the degree that one could argue against them as first time Ts.

Still, neither is a mean spider.

My pokies, especially my 2 P striatas, are super chilled, faster then greased lightning and have far better vision then my other ones.

Could you "get away with" them as a first arboreal? Yes!!

Should you try it?
Absolutely not!! (They're fine as a 2nd arboreal in my opinion.)

C darling & C marshali are also believed to be good first OWs, but I haven't tried those myself. I went for brighter colors!!

Having said that, there's an entire continent where first time keepers can only own some of the most extreme OWs known -- Australia & somehow the cat majority do just fine.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H pulchripes and M balfouri are super fast & it's to the degree that one could argue against them as first time Ts.

My pokies, especially my 2 P striatas, are super chilled, faster then greased lightning and have far better vision then my other ones.

Should you try it?

C darling & C marshali are also believed to be good first OWs, but I haven't tried those myself. I went for brighter colors!!

Having said that, there's an entire continent where first time keepers can only own some of the most extreme OWs known -- Australia & somehow the cat majority do just fine.
And many would do just fine on this continent. I and quite a few others on this forum started with old world spp. Unfortunately, in this hobby people are steered away by some magical ladder system. As if an intelligent, calm human being can't outwit a spider..

Metalman2004

3 Year Member

Should you try it?

Getting any OW into their enclosure for the first time is a bit intense, but once they’re settled a fossorial is going to run back to the burrow if its disturbed and a Poec is going to run back to its cork hide 99% of the time. Just don’t hand feed them and its not a big deal.

Tnoob

Getting any OW into their enclosure for the first time is a bit intense, but once they’re settled a fossorial is going to run back to the burrow if its disturbed and a Poec is going to run back to its cork hide 99% of the time. Just don’t hand feed them and its not a big deal.
To an extent, if you're tossing them in there it's not so bad, but I've ran into issues with that.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I prefer to use a paintbrush and tongs if needed.

In all seriousness, I know what you mean. I think having a high quality enclosure a bit larger then some others have is a God send when dealing with OWs.

Latest posts