• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mature male slowly losing its legs.

holyshietbiscuits

3 Year Member
I know when a male tarantula reaches maturity, its time is near. I have a mature male B. Sabulosum for more over than a year. This past month it has lost 2 legs with no signs of bleeding. Is this how mature males normally come to pass?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No, normally they just curl up and die. This sounds as though he has injured himself in some way.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I actually just spoke to a guy who had a MM OBT that had lost a couple legs. This one had been alive for quite a while after its molt, and some of its legs had been turning black at the tips. They then started dropping off. I had never heard of this before, but it sounds like what you are seeing.I don't think it's common, but it wouldn't surprise me if, in the older ones, the circulation started failing leading them to cast off dead legs.

holyshietbiscuits

3 Year Member
I actually just spoke to a guy who had a MM OBT that had lost a couple legs. This one had been alive for quite a while after its molt, and some of its legs had been turning black at the tips. They then started dropping off. I had never heard of this before, but it sounds like what you are seeing.I don't think it's common, but it wouldn't surprise me if, in the older ones, the circulation started failing leading them to cast off dead legs.

Sounds just like it. Poor bud, haven't found him a mate. Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Btw just noticed, I'm a huge fan of your videos and blog. It's one of your recent posts that got me to sign up here. Looking forward to what you have in store for us this 2017. Cheers~

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds just like it. Poor bud, haven't found him a mate. Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Btw just noticed, I'm a huge fan of your videos and blog. It's one of your recent posts that got me to sign up here. Looking forward to what you have in store for us this 2017. Cheers~

Yeah, he had photos of it, and it was terrible to see. The poor thing was just falling apart. :( Those poor mature males can have such a pitiful end.

Wow, so glad that you joined up! This place is fantastic; a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable people here. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, he had photos of it, and it was terrible to see. The poor thing was just falling apart. :( Those poor mature males can have such a pitiful end.
that's why i've decided to euthanize any of my MM i can't give away to the local trade show guy here. He took my son's MM Pumpkin patch, so hopefully he'll take any others that turn out to be male we have.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I live in south Texas. I've gotten some pleasure from releasing a few MM on my property. Ones I couldn't find a taker for. The only one I spotted after release was a MM hybrid avic I released in my stable. Its good to see them wild, even MM who'll never find what they seek.

Latest posts