• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male tarantula appreciation

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ceratogyrus darlingi mature male grabbing a roach in a death curl.
20200309_163745_1.gif

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great pics. Love seeing MMs of species I am not keeping.

@ilovebrachys it seems all your pics in the last 3 posts the males have bare abdos. Is something stressing them out or are they all pre-molt?

I have 1 MM B. vagans that kicked off all his butt hair recently and is now in heavy pre-molt (pitch black abdo) and has pretty much refused to eat in 2 weeks.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

@ilovebrachys it seems all your pics in the last 3 posts the males have bare abdos. Is something stressing them out or are they all pre-molt?

I have 1 MM B. vagans that kicked off all his butt hair recently and is now in heavy pre-molt (pitch black abdo) and has pretty much refused to eat in 2 weeks.
Once a T becomes a MM they should not moult ever again.. Although there have been exceptions to this @Arachnoclown has seen the results and can explain what happens if a MM tries to moult
The MMs in all my pics are not stressed just very grumpy very old men who have way outlived there expected lifetime( by a couple of years in some cases!) most MMs end up with a bald butt unfortunately lol and go for very long periods without eating as they are to busy looking for love

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Learn something new every day

So my, B. vagans, as of his last molt a male having made at least one sperm web, is not yet a mature male?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Learn something new every day

So my, B. vagans, as of his last molt a male having made at least one sperm web, is not yet a mature male?
He is mature if he has 'Hooked out' so if you can see the tibial hooks yes he is mature.. And certainly if he is 'sperm webbing' :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He is mature if he has 'Hooked out' so if you can see the tibial hooks yes he is mature.. And certainly if he is 'sperm webbing' :)

That's what I thought too but he has flicked all the hairs off his abdo - it has turned completely black over the last few days and he has not been keen to eat... I was expecting him to molt any day

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's what I thought too but he has flicked all the hairs off his abdo - it has turned completely black over the last few days and he has not been keen to eat... I was expecting him to molt any day
I don't think that's gonna happen for him.. You will get used to him refusing food as some MMs go months without eating.. I know you are aware but make sure he has plenty of water available as MMs do dehydrate a lot quicker than expected as all they want to do is roam..
Enjoy him while you have him you can expect him to live up to 2 years after his final moult :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Male tarantulas lose their hairs making sperm webs.:D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts