• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or female Rose Hair?

OraisteEthereal

3 Year Member
Not sure if this goes in the breeding category, I don't plan to breed. But I was curious to see if my rose hair, Sharlo, is a male or female. I'm thinking and hoping for a long lived female, but you never know. She is not active at all. Pretty much picks a corner and stays there. I tried to get a good ventral photo. I can't pinch grab her and this was the only time she was on the glass. If this isn't a good shot, I probably won't be able to get another. I know photo sexing is not accurate and that molted skin is, but she hasn't molted and she doesn't seem to be ready to molt any time soon. So guesses are greatly appreciated. I posted these same photos in another thread x_x oy.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 4.png
    4.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I'm going to guess female. It looks like a mature Rosie, and if it were male, it would have clubbed pedipalps. Also from the ventral view there seems to be a clear horizontal slit between the book lungs, another strong indicator of a female. Her abdomen is also round and globose, whereas a male's is usually narrower. Last but not least, her legs are fairly stout...the legs of a male tend to be longer and give the tarantula an overall "leggy" look. My guess is female. But as you said, it's true, the only way to be 100% sure is to examine the exuvium.

Latest posts