• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male/Female?

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
This is an A. avicularia, or possibly an A. metallica. I caught it eating on it so I don't know if the molt is good enough to tell.

Attachments

• 20151205_075359.jpg
    20151205_075359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah check out a couple vids on youtube. and ull be able to tell how to spread it open for a good pic and then repost and we will try to wager an educated guess.

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
Well, I soaked it in warm water with a drop of soap to soften. When I tried to unfold it again I ended up destroying it. :( Unless we can vent sex it, I'll have to wait until next molt. I'm leaning more toward female comparing vent pictures to it.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I soaked it in warm water with a drop of soap to soften. When I tried to unfold it again I ended up destroying it. :( Unless we can vent sex it, I'll have to wait until next molt. I'm leaning more toward female comparing vent pictures to it.
vent sexing isnt 100 percent. u can get a good guess, but ull have to wait until next molt to be sure though.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jut a tip: I prefer to use a spray bottle of alcohol to soften molts rather than the soap and water method. You can be more precise and it's pretty much immediate.
just put a spray bottle top on a bottle of vodka...? ;)

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
wait a T will eat its molt? I have a b. smithi I have been keeping an eye on waiting for it to molt and I thought it might have molted but I found no molt so I figured it hadn't yet... do they stretch their legs and joints weird before a molt and after?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
No it won't eat its molt. But a molted T very often chews its old abdomen skin, most probably to recover some water/fluids.

If you can't find the molt, it means it hasn't molted (unless it's buried of course).

And yes, you are right, a T will stretch after molt before the exoskeleton harden.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wait a T will eat its molt? I have a b. smithi I have been keeping an eye on waiting for it to molt and I thought it might have molted but I found no molt so I figured it hadn't yet... do they stretch their legs and joints weird before a molt and after?
Yes they sometimes will.

Latest posts