• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M balfouri not reacting

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Normally my M balfouri is always redecorating or moving dirt around.

For about a week, this activity had stopped and I haven't seen her at all. The burrows are practically sealed up.

I pulled just the corner of the webinar and waited. Typically this gets fixed within 12 hours. 2 days later--nothing.

At what point does one become concerned? Do they hibernate in the winter?

Floodmeister

3 Year Member
I have a Hamorri and a seemanni about 2.5" each that have been in their burrows for 106 days and 87 days. :(

I feel your pain. I sometimes forget I have a hamorri. It sealed off its burrow the day after I rehoused it. That was 31 days ago. Luckily it made its burrow along the side of the enclosure so I can check on it from time to time.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update:

Once again, the burrow is open. I could swear that it's about 1/8-3/16ths of an inch wide then usual.

I suspect a molt, but I haven't seen her emerge yet. It won't be long before I have to rehouse her into the 3 gallon tank, which should be big enough for the rest of her life.

Question: just how big does the typical M balfouri actually get in the real world?

I mean actual size without the blarney!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good news. The burrow is once again open. I saw some legs sticking out with more adult colors but not enough for a picture. I bet she molted, but without a skin can't prove it. I'll feed her in a week. Still no clue as to the sex.

At 5 inches, it'll be no bigger then my other spider is now. Do females have the same diagonal leg span?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update: she ate a small cricket and a meal worm yesterday.

I'm sure of a molt due to the size increase but I haven't been able to capture a pic yet. The burrow entrance is much wider.

I got a good look at her when I dropped a cricket into the burrow. Much to my surprise, the cricket appeared to stop in thin air due to webbing that was fairly high above the burrow. She got it 30 seconds later and I got a great look.

Perhaps I should've filmed it. Hopefully she'll spend more time above ground.

Latest posts