• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lp birdeater question

kaz

3 Year Member
WP_20160121_14_37_00_Pro.jpg
Hello all been awhile, phone broke so haven't been on. Recently obtained an juvie Lp pretty sure its ready for a molt will update with some photos soon. However for now my question is on enclosure size. I'm setting up an old 15 gallon aquarium. About 2 feet long by just shy of a foot wide. Will this be big enough as a permanent enclosure. Here's a pic so far, still stuff to add plants soil etc.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok cool, couldn't really find a great deal on this question, just thought it be one of those things, doesn't get quite as big as I'm imagining lol or it'll be bigger. Thanks again.
I've heard of 11 inch Lp, but never seen one. Most likely 8 1/2 " to 9" is as big as it will get. Believe me, an 8 inch spider is still a Very large spider up close and personal. You wont be disappointed in an Lp :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I've heard of 11 inch Lp, but never seen one. Most likely 8 1/2 " to 9" is as big as it will get. Believe me, an 8 inch spider is still a Very large spider up close and personal. You wont be disappointed in an Lp :)
Absolutely. My 8"+ stirmi looks like some monster pulled out of a Godzilla movie, and I love her. 15 gallons is fine...more than enough room. Of course, tho, be sure to add way more substrate, as that tank is very tall, and a fall from a few inches can kill a Supersized T. I kno it's a juvi now, but it's still to far a fall.
I have a 1.5" LP sling and love it. It's growing fast and is a burrowing magician. Congrats and good luck

kaz

3 Year Member
ok thanks, didnt realise that. And yea its not going in there for awhile, ran out of coco fibre but gave it a slope to look nice Time being. Just thought id add bits slowly and get it setup, so by the time I'm happy with it, it may go in. However mean time My main concern is how to fix the lid to ensure no escapes!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My LP is only 1/4" and has burrowed down the corner of the enclosure. He'll come up at night to drink the water droplets from the misting on the walls. Amazing something that tiny will get up to 10" or so dls.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My LP is only 1/4" and has burrowed down the corner of the enclosure. He'll come up at night to drink the water droplets from the misting on the walls. Amazing something that tiny will get up to 10" or so dls.

They rarely get that big, usually 8-8.5"

its just flipped on it's back lol!!

It'll be interesting to see how much it grows :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
its just flipped on it's back lol!!
Good luck with the molt.....if you are really worried about size of home and safety.....buy my supersized and uber secure converted corner vivarium. I am only about 350 miles north from where you live.....lol

see pics below. 1st is my large Genic avoiding the camera

20151025_162822.jpg
20151025_162652.jpg
20151025_162758.jpg
20151025_162749.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
really nice setup you have there.
It's empty now and for sale as the T room needs to be returned back to a bedroom. My genic has now been "down sized" from a 190 litre tank to 70 litres. She has sulked with me ever since....lol. she is in the big tank at the top of the cabinet in the pic below whuh are now in my bedroom. I. Also have Pokie tanks either side of my bed.....lol
Love me love my Ts..... End of :):T:. So if you know anyone who wants the big one from my earlier post, send them my way please.
20151230_174622.jpg

kaz

3 Year Member
It's empty now and for sale as the T room needs to be returned back to a bedroom. My genic has now been "down sized" from a 190 litre tank to 70 litres. She has sulked with me ever since....lol. she is in the big tank at the top of the cabinet in the pic below whuh are now in my bedroom. I. Also have Pokie tanks either side of my bed.....lol
Love me love my Ts..... End of :):T:. So if you know anyone who wants the big one from my earlier post, send them my way please.
View attachment 13779
as much as id love it I wouldn't be able to travel that far to pick it ups lol

kaz

3 Year Member
View attachment 13779
really nice btw am an ocd type person and id certainly like a room like that lol