• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Losing Hair

P4cifico

3 Year Member
My Chilean Redhair seems to be losing hair around there back of her behind area. Is this a sign of infection or irritation? The pic below shows what I am describing. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 45

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
This is normal for new worlds especially before they moult.
Can you get a better pic of the spiders front legs and pedipalps from a side on view though. It's looking a lot like a mature male which means it could be at the end of its life if I am seeing what I think I am.

P4cifico

3 Year Member
Here is the sideview. Ive had it for 6 years so I don't think its a male.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 41

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Bald spots are normal, these are the result of the tarantula rubbing away its bristles. The color of the skin is pink or tan in intermolt, and turns very dark when the spider goes into premolt. After the molt, there will be an entirely new set of bristles so the bald spot will be gone.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Can't see nicely on the pic.
Sorry for the questions, as I don't know your level of experience, but do you know what to look for in a mature male? The enlarged pedipalps and hooks on the front legs. G.rosea grow slowly, so could still be a male.

Latest posts