• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for some advice.

DancingQueen31

I received Terry Antula rather unexpectedly and have to admit I wasn't prepared for it. I believe he/she is a curly haired tarantula and have been feeding him meal worms. Partly due to reading about the size of food they need and also the fact that ****roaches just burrowed away and I was worried about him/her finding food. Terry has molted twice since being with me so has grown a bit and its hard to guess but maybe just under an inch in length of the back body part (I'm such a beginner I don't even know the terms)

The other day I noticed he'd webbed up the front of his little hide - not a lot but enough webs to break if he exited. Then today I noticed darkling beetles in his tank, I removed three in total and believe that's all of them. A few mealworms must have escaped the mealworm dish I use or perhaps he dropped them. I can't see him when he's in his hide and feel concerned and protective over him but don't want to disturb him.

I'm wondering if that is why Terry has started hiding? How long he can hide before I should be concerned? Any advice for feeding moving forward? Most sources online talked about putting the food near the Tarantula but Terry is shy and hides if I open the tank and I know you're not supposed to shove food into their hides so I'm stuck.

Just looking for advice and making sure I'm giving the best care to this new family member :)

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
If you could take a pic of Terry, then someone could tell what species you have and give you the right care advice. If you don t have pic just yet wait because it sounds like the tarantula getting ready to molt .

DancingQueen31

Here's the best photo I could find, this was 1 or 2 molts ago
Tarantula.jpg

DancingQueen31

it's hard to say, his abdomen (think thats the right part) the one with no legs attached it probably between 2 and 3 cm now. does that help with size or does it need to be more specific or a total length or something?

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
The size can be estimated but normal people give it in leg span . If he or she is molting okay then you must be doing something right . These a normal quite calm and will be less skittish as it they grows I normal keep my on the dry side but some hobbyist keep substrate a bit moist .
If preys turning into beetles you may want to put less in or wait till it you see it out then put prey in .When there young slings or juveniles the molt often . If you google the species you probs also get care sheets . Also may want to put small water dish in there for it to drink . If you want more info just write what want to know then some will chime in .

DancingQueen31

The size can be estimated but normal people give it in leg span . If he or she is molting okay then you must be doing something right . These a normal quite calm and will be less skittish as it they grows I normal keep my on the dry side but some hobbyist keep substrate a bit moist .
If preys turning into beetles you may want to put less in or wait till it you see it out then put prey in .When there young slings or juveniles the molt often . If you google the species you probs also get care sheets . Also may want to put small water dish in there for it to drink . If you want more info just write what want to know then some will chime in .
Thank you. Ive got a couple of shallow water dishes in there. Will the darkling beetles stress out the tarantula? I think I got all of them out but just wondered incase I missed any.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
They could do but If he or she webbed up the tunnel it should be ok , I doubt it would webbed up with the beetle inside with it .

DancingQueen31

They could do but If he or she webbed up the tunnel it should be ok , I doubt it would webbed up with the beetle inside with it .
Awesome thanks, I appreciate all your help. Just one more question if you dont mind - what feeders do you use? I've read multiple websites and roaches burrow, meal worms are fairly small, what do you find works best?

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Like I say they are good eaters I normal feed roaches to them and mario worms but meal worm and crickets are ok .

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Did you say you put a dish with mealworms in it into the enclosure?? Just take tongs and drop a mealworm in front of spider. If it doesn’t take it then take the mealworm out. Darkling beetles can kill spiders when they’re molting. It’s very important not to let them burrow in the substrate. Your spider does look like a T. Albopilosus aka curly hair. A better pic is needed to tell for sure though. Let us know if you have any further questions.

x_raphael_xx

If they wonder close enough and feel the movement of the prey.How long ago did Terry last molt? Possibly hes webbed himself away to molt.
Or possibly hes just found himself a nice cosy hole to live in. I have some T's I haven't seen in months.

Latest posts