• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for some advice / tips

Andrew1211

3 Year Member
Hi all I be getting my very first T in a few weeks and need to make sure I get everything right what sort of tank will I be looking for and apart from substrate and hides will I need anything else any info be great

Sabeth

3 Year Member
For a tank, you can use one from the pet shop, or you can just buy a plastic container from the store (it must have a secure lid and you will have to drill or melt several holes in the side close to the top). Any container you use should not be too high (unless it's an arboreal tarantula); about twice the T's leg span is a good max. The width of the cage should also be about twice the leg span, and the length about twice the width.

Besides the substrate (coco fiber, such as EcoEarth, is good) and a hide, you will also need a water dish. Plants and other decorations are strictly optional.

Andrew1211

3 Year Member
Great I have a decent tank for him/her already then just have to drill some extra holes in the side then
As for heat would I need a mat ?

Can't actually wait for it

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For many T's added heat isn't needed, and can in fact be harmful, though it depends on the specie. For most of your desert new world species if you are comfortable, they are comfortable. If you decide on a specie that needs extra heat, or your home is unusually cold, a heat mat to the SIDE of the tank is enough.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
What kind of T are you getting?

Most keepers are worried about maintaning humidity levels for moisture-loving species. A mister bottle or an automatic fogger is needed for thses case.

Latest posts