• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for a captive bred Curly Hair Tarantula

maudthemouse

New to spiders and I’ve been looking at the recommended beginner ones. Narrowed it down to the Curly Hair and Chaco Golden Knee and was pretty set on a Curly Hair (not exciting but I like the hairy legs) but discovered that the ones available I’ve seen are wild caught. I was surprised by this as they are one of the cheaper varieties and widely recommended as first spiders. I’ve read that they are easy to breed so I don’t understand why it would be cheaper to have wild caught ones? I also discovered that Curly Hairs are on the Cites Appendix ll list and there is an export quota for them! I’m uneasy about buying a wild caught creature on the list so I’m hoping someone can tell me if it’s possible to get captive bred ones and where to look?
Thanks

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nothing wrong with wild caught tarantulas that are legally caught and exported. Ive purchased dozens over the years. As for breeding them there's really no money in it for people looking for that big spider price tag. The last sack I had I ended up giving them away.

20200521_173529.jpg
20200521_222456.jpg
20200627_151744.jpg
20200704_134142.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi :)

Unfortunately no 9ne bothers to breed spiders that are cheap to import, this is bad for the hobby as people cannot continue to take unlimited quantities of WC spiders... It has to stop somewhere.
Which is why we are concentrating on breeding the more commonly available species to make as many CB as possible.
I will drop you a message regarding the curly hairs you are looking for :)

Noodlelove

New to spiders and I’ve been looking at the recommended beginner ones. Narrowed it down to the Curly Hair and Chaco Golden Knee and was pretty set on a Curly Hair (not exciting but I like the hairy legs) but discovered that the ones available I’ve seen are wild caught. I was surprised by this as they are one of the cheaper varieties and widely recommended as first spiders. I’ve read that they are easy to breed so I don’t understand why it would be cheaper to have wild caught ones? I also discovered that Curly Hairs are on the Cites Appendix ll list and there is an export quota for them! I’m uneasy about buying a wild caught creature on the list so I’m hoping someone can tell me if it’s possible to get captive bred ones and where to look?
Thanks
They really shouldn't give them away. Mr puffle pants is the most fun spider I have. Actually gave the seller more money than he wanted LOL. They really are adorable.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
There for and against wild caught but we also he the hobby forms. Which when there was no knowledge of where these guys come from, they were bred together from different location . I can understand why it is important to have captive bred to stop over harvesting in the wild also . I have a few the strain from Nicaragua .

Latest posts