• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking at getting my first arboreol t

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Hey everyone I've got 6 terrestrial t's 2 b. Albophilosum slings 2 g rosea 1 salmon pink bird eater and 1 obt. But I'm looking at getting a arboreol and want some suggestions I'm still very new to t's only like 4 or 5 months exp so I'm trying to find one that's reletivly easy to care for and not a ow species.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi. I recommend any Avicularia, any Psalmopeous, and Thrixopelma ockerti. And of course I recommend researching whatever you decide to buy, thoroughly, but I'm sure you know that already.:) My personal favorite arboreals are my Avic versicolors. My P irminia and my Poecilotherias hide too much. Plus the versis are prettier.:D

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Poecilotheria are beautiful and they're a good display species as most tend to stay out in the open the majority of the time. If you're wanting something with less potent venom, I'd recommend P.cambridgei or pretty much any Avicularia. Iridopelma are cool, but they're a lot less common. However you may want to try your luck with finding one anyway.

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
The only reason I'm worried about going with a avic is I've heard quiet a few people haveing issues keeping them alive as slings and more than likely will be when I purchase one is there anything that can be done to keep them healthy.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you don't mind super speed and a bit of attitude, other than Avics I would also recommend the often overlooked T. Gigas. But be warned: They can be lightning fast although mine has not shown her/his true potential yet. They are reasonably visible, too (unless you buy them a lovely miniature hollow tree and they disappear inside it only to show the occasional leg :mad: :p).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The only reason I'm worried about going with a avic is I've heard quiet a few people haveing issues keeping them alive as slings and more than likely will be when I purchase one is there anything that can be done to keep them healthy.

I felt the same as you about getting into Avics, then I bought one and it died during a bad moult but my second is doing fine. I keep the substrate dry, provide a water bowl and plenty ventilation get that right and you'll be ok so please don't avoid them.

I agree with Fuzzball79 about the T. gigas and would also add the T. violaceus.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's often because people practically drown them in humidity and don't provide enough ventilation. All you need to do is make sure they have lots of cross ventilation ,which is achieved by drilling several rows of holes around the sides of the enclosure (not on the lid). Keep them with dry substrate and with a water dish (a small bottle cap for slings). You can keep them a bit more moist as slings. You don't want to have a stuffy cage as that is often what kills them.

T.gigas are cool but be very careful around them. Tapys are widely regarded as the fastest-moving of all tarantulas.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics are not any more delicate than any other species. As stated above, cross ventilation is the key, and fresh water in a good sized dish will provide all the moisture they need. Some just put vents in the side of the enclosure. They do this to trap a little humidity in there but still have cross ventilation. I put vents in the side and top as well, and give them large dishes. It's worked out very well for me. Avics are the most docile, active and bold arboreals in the hobby, in my experience, and while there's many nice arboreals to choose from, none of the others really compare to them, to me. Even though most Avics don't get very big, there's a few that do, like the amazonica, I think it gets 6 or 7 inches, but I haven't gotten one of those yet. It's on my list though :D Just so you know, arboreals poop on the walls. It was quite irritating to me when I first started keeping them.:p

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Amazonica are beautiful Avics. They can reach up to 7 1/2 inches so very massive for an Avic. They're more skittish than many other Avics I've noticed, but nothing most people can't handle. Avicularia diversipes and Avicularia laeta are the oddballs of the genus, as they can be pretty defensive and are faster than other Avics.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Amazonica are beautiful Avics. They can reach up to 7 1/2 inches so very massive for an Avic. They're more skittish than many other Avics I've noticed, but nothing most people can't handle. Avicularia diversipes and Avicularia laeta are the oddballs of the genus, as they can be pretty defensive and are faster than other Avics.
I need an amazonica, but the campbridgei is one I've put off buying for too long. Either that or the ockerti will be my next arboreal, followed by the amazon and a purpurea. The ockerti does that rump lifting thing, like the P antinous and M robustum. Spiders with character are a big draw for me. I think it's why I like the boehmei most out of all the Brachys.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And by "handle" that is not what chubbs meant literally...just to be clear.
Yes I guess that was a poor choice of words lol. I have "handled" my A.versicolor accidentally a few times when it was younger. Spazzy little thing used to run up my arm when I'd open the enclosure to feed it.

Diversipes have always interested me because in addition to being beautiful, I find an Avic with an attitude to be pretty unique.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes I guess that was a poor choice of words lol. I have "handled" my A.versicolor accidentally a few times when it was younger. Spazzy little thing used to run up my arm when I'd open the enclosure to feed it.

Diversipes have always interested me because in addition to being beautiful, I find an Avic with an attitude to be pretty unique.
lol...i figured id clear that up...lol i got ur back bud. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you all for your inputs and for clearing up my worries about avics. Now on to the fun stuff of actually choosing one out.
Versi is an awesome electric blue as a sling, and purple legged, green carapace, and red butt as an adult...gorgeous, fun little spiders to own. My A avics and my versis all tend to wander out when I have the top off, I've handled all of them, I believe, very docile in my experience. They're jumpers, so I don't recommend handling them, but it's pretty much irresistible sometimes. The amazonica would be a great choice too, they're very pretty. A avics are the plainest looking, but still cool, and the gentlest and slowest, I believe. And very cheap and easy to obtain in local pet stores. I have one sold to me as an A avic that I believe is actually an A metallica, I'm not certain though...it may be a wild hybrid. It's got the fiber optic wire hairs and a very dark rump. Avicularia is another taxonomically challenged genus...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You've got lots of choices with this genus, but I think your best bet is A.metallica. They are a larger Avic, reaching over 6 inches, and are probably the calmest of the genus. A.diversipes is great if you can handle a bit of speed and attitude. Plus they literally change color every time they molt.

Latest posts