• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Like every novice I need Help!

Strong#s

I have had my Tarantula for about 3 months. It is a about a curly hair that is about two or three inches front to back. This past week he has dug a small hole just big enough for his body and has stayed in it and has not eaten. I know not eating is a sign of pre-molt, but it barely reacts when nudged on the leg with a paint brush and I'm worried something else is wrong. How do I tell if it is for sure pre-molt and if it's not what should I do? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Strong#s

Thank you! I've always had bigger animals and never thought the little ones could be more stressful. Is there anything husbandry wise I can do to make molts easier?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Everything @Enn49 said is correct. Dont be shocked if you see it on its back...this is what it looks like when they molt.
20190102_135803.jpg

Nunua

3 Year Member
Like everyone has already said, there is no need to worry. I can tell you that for example my B. albiceps sling is the true pet rock when in premolt. It won't move if you try to tap its legs with a paintbrush. It sits still until getting annoyed - Then it makes a sharp turn and taps the brush with front legs. :rolleyes:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A full water dish is essential!!

It's also best to be especially mindful to not bother it. Even making noise by the cage or bright lights etc should be avoided as much as possible.

Latest posts