• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting

Scott1976

3 Year Member
Hi everyone would anyone recommend blue neon lighting for a tarantula just to make it a bit better at night

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lighting is debatable. Some people use it others don't. I use it less than at first.

I am assuming you are trying to recreate moonlight. It may work in having the T become more active and visible. You mentioned neon, I am not sure how that differs from the blue you can get from LEDs, such as are used for aquariums. LEDs may be better and likely cheaper.

Tarantulas apparently can't see red light and it has been my experience that Ts can be active in that light, if you can stand it yourself. If you want to observe them as they likely would act in darkness, try the red.

As for blue, I have not tried it.

I use lights less as I work most nights so I am not there.

Scott1976

3 Year Member
Lighting is debatable. Some people use it others don't. I use it less than at first.

I am assuming you are trying to recreate moonlight. It may work in having the T become more active and visible. You mentioned neon, I am not sure how that differs from the blue you can get from LEDs, such as are used for aquariums. LEDs may be better and likely cheaper.

Tarantulas apparently can't see red light and it has been my experience that Ts can be active in that light, if you can stand it yourself. If you want to observe them as they likely would act in darkness, try the red.

As for blue, I have not tried it.

I use lights less as I work most nights so I am not there.
Cheers pal I've also got a asian scorpion do I might try it on her. Advice very much appreciated

Glad to see this post as I have just recently thought about this and read up and as always it's somewhat of a debate I feel anyway.

I've read that blue they hate..um well mine doesn't mind it all but,keep in mind the thought in the back of my mind that it might bother them. I have never left the blue on more than 8 hours.

Red is what I use and I really am just trying to figure this out. Moonlight is kinda what I really want. I seen a Balfouri communal I mean huge absolutely huge most beautiful thing ever and they had a blueish type light when feeding. IAM so serious when I say a bucket of dubia I've never asked about the light they were using. Always so blown away at the size of that enclosure.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas hate lights. Lighting is vanity thing for us humans. Lighting should be for maintenance only or for observation, not for constant display. I use a red light at night that seams not to bother the spiders much. During the day I use normal white light. I never use light directly above the enclosure for long periods of time. Many lights are extremely strong and can damage the sight of a already nearly blind tarantula.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, I am thinking their poor eyesight has a lot to do with them avoiding light or vice versa. They would certainly be more susceptible to predators. But there are some species that venture out, perhaps in search of food or a mate. But so far I am not sure if they are faring better with or without the subdued aquarium lights I had used.

Latest posts