• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lifespan?

newtots

3 Year Member
what is a male avic avic lifespan? And how long do they take to reach adult size? I'm trying to figure out the age of the avic I bought last month. He's been hanging around the bottom of the enclosure lately not wanting to climb or web much. He is a confirmed male and is about 4" I'm wondering if he's about to molt or about to pass on... Everything I've researched says that they love to climb and web, and mine doing neither seems out of place. Just want to make sure he's ok

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what i have read. 3 to 4 years life span on a male. and 12 or so with a female. If it makes u feel better though. my avic avic only webs when she is about to molt. She climbs but just hangs out waiting to be feed.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what is a male avic avic lifespan? And how long do they take to reach adult size? I'm trying to figure out the age of the avic I bought last month. He's been hanging around the bottom of the enclosure lately not wanting to climb or web much. He is a confirmed male and is about 4" I'm wondering if he's about to molt or about to pass on... Everything I've researched says that they love to climb and web, and mine doing neither seems out of place. Just want to make sure he's ok

It would help if we could see a picture of your set-up. It may not have enough anchor points for its webbing. A avicularia and A.metallica web less than others. As for it's age, unless you hatched it yourself, It's impossible to determine the age. At 4 inches, it'll likely be mature fairly soon.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't accurately tell you their lifespan, mine are all still alive, but I will say that sometimes they do hang out on the ground. I've noticed that when they do that, if I throw a worm in they'll snatch it up quick, even a few of mine that show some fasting behavior. So it may be a hunting behavior, I'm not positive though. I know a few different species of Avic can be found on the ground in rolled up leaves in the wild also, so I don't pay it any mind when they decide to act terrestrial for a few days. I did notice one of mine acting like that just before a molt, don't know if it was coincidence or not.