• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leaf litter

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
Is it safe to use peace lilys leafs as leaf litter in a tarantulas enclosure?

Since you fail to mention what kinds of tarantulas you're planning to use it with, I'm forced to offer only very general recommendations.

I've never heard of anyone using peace lily leaves as leaf litter (decoration?) or substrate. So I'd have to say "unknown." If you do, you'll have to do so at your own risk. Personally, I wouldn't. Many of the aroids (the much larger group of plants in which peace lilies are scientifically grouped) are known to be toxic under varying circumstances. (See for instance, Dieffenbachia.) And, peace lilies (i.e., Spathiphyllum) are known to be at least mildly toxic when eaten by other house pets. Unless you have a whole bunch of nearly identical tarantulas (so that the loss of a few for experimental purposes would not be overwhelming), I wouldn't even bother trying to experiment.

I can't help but ask, "Why?" Unadulterated black or brown peat ("soil" from an old bog, often used in the horticulture industry and hobby for conditioning house plants' potting mixtures) or ground coconut hulls (sold in pet shops under various commercial names) have proven to work well as substrates for virtually all tarantulas.

And there is not the slightest indication that the tarantulas we keep as pets have any preferences or even care about leaf litter or most of the other "stuff" that enthusiasts often throw into their cages. Also, too much "stuff" in the cage makes it more difficult for your tarantula to move around, over, or through when going for a "walkabout" or searching for food. Remember that virtually all the tarantulas that we have access to in the hobby today were cage bred, have never seen a desert or a jungle, and almost surely never will. Any leaf litter and most other cage furnishings that you may add to their living quarters are merely more stuff that feeder crickets or roaches can hide under, and eventually die under.

I commend you for asking before just trying this experiment. Well done! Unless the enthusiast is a long-time tarantula keeper and has the background and experience to interpret the results, and profit from such an experiment, they might better "go with the flow" and use tried and true husbandry methods until a little (or a lot) more practical experience is gained. The first and most important goal here is to learn how NOT to kill your little eight-legged buddies. Well done indeed!

Latest posts