• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lawl im obsessed sorry lol

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Ok, so anyone who has been stalking my posts know I've been wanting a T for awhile and since I've got one I've been irrationally obsessed with her. I named her Samus Aran (from metroid. call me a nerd lol)

well I've got her in the perfect substrate now, she has everything she needs.. and she went inside her hut and webbed off both the entrances... it's so cool. I'm assuming this is some sort of trip line to sense prey with... or maybe she's going into a molt?

I have no idea but it's cool as ****. oh my god. lol

I'll post a pic pretty soon.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
my babys set up.jpg

Here's her 10 gal tank with Eco Earth coconut fiber as you all suggested. picture doesn't really do justice.. there's a ton for her to dig in there.

my babys set up2.jpg

Yes, I know there is a sponge in the dish. It's 100% clean but as soon as I see it's the slightest bit dirty I will pitch it for good.
(again, da dumb pet store lawl) and I have her set with a 25 watt basking light to keep her terrarium set at a comfortable 80 degrees.
and the skull you see here, I dug underneath it as there is a hole behind it for her to enter if she pleases.

webbed off hut lol.jpg

She's selected the hut as her little place for now. The entrance is webbed off lol.

my babys first web at home.jpg

here is a view from behind. my baby's first web at her new home!

bestco

3 Year Member
Hey you said your using a sponge in your water bowl? Its a big no sorry it's bacteria haven I would take sponge out of bowl and use aqua stones if your worried about your t drowning, your t really doesn't need the light as they will do well at room temperature, and it would help your t if there's night and day it helps them grow with natural lighting, chille roses don't really dig, no need for loads of substrate a hide it's fine I hope this helps ;)

bestco

3 Year Member
I can't see her being in premolt from the pics you showed the other day like hungryghost said maybe hiding from the heat of the lamp

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Besides the lamp and sponge issue. There is also wayyy to much room between the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. If she were to try climbing to the top, loose footing and fall she could rupture her abdomen, especially if she happen to fall and hit the hide or that skull. There should only be a distance of 1-1.5x their legspan for terrestrials.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Yeah...4" minimum on the substrate. Time to tick her off again.
Both my 1" B. vagans & 1/4" G. pulchripes dug that deep, while a friend of mine pulled an invasive B. vagans from its 3' tunnel in Florida.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
...one of you told me less substrate... now one of you is saying more??????????????

lol. what do i do? also, shut the light off and the sponge is out. i already said i was going to throw it away :0

bestco

3 Year Member
There's a really good book out there it's called, the tarantulas keepers guide, I would recommend you to get this book its help me out a lot, its the bible of arachnoculture lol, ;)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
We can never have to much soil for Terrestrial T. if they want to dig they have plenty to use. The height issue is a big thing as well like previously mentioned above spider climbs and gets startled by a noise or something it drops and bad things could happen to your baby. If you cant change enclosures. you could move the objects closer to middle as to reduce chance she may fall from glass onto them and she can still utilize them if she wants to. Adding more substrate also reduces the height she could potentially fall. You could also take something like a paper towel roll and place it in one of the corners as a starting hole then pack dirt around it and carefully pull the roll out. This encourages her to dig and in a place where you can still see her, she will widen the hole if she needs to or not use it at all which is fine either way. At your spiders size she will most likely hang out on surface when conditions are right for her. Mine mine chills out around water dish. Earlier you mentioned it doing circles endlessly it sounds like it is stressed and can't figure out how to get away from the heat source. Desert T's can handle heat but it is instinctual for them to try and avoid it and come out when it is dark and cooler out. This is the life of a desert creature.

Latest posts