• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping slings from the so called arid species.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
As we know all slings are lacking the waxy coating of their grown relatives and need to be kept a bit moist to prevent dehydration.
At what size (age) the so called arid species from the Brachypelma, Grammostola,Gbb,Avicularia ..... can be safely kept on dry substrate with water always available in a dish of course?
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I don’t like to mist the side of an enclosure as it causes mould, so maintaining a water source with a miniature tattoo ink pot works perfectly. They come in 3 sizes, I use all 3 right up to juveniles.
Hi
Thanks for your reply.Does that mean that you keep them on bone dry substrate as soon as you can fit water dish in.I am not talking(thinking) about misting.More about adding moisture with a dropper (syringe) ala Tom Moran stile to bottom layers of substrate(or parts of it, while the top is alowed to dry).Example my lil Avic(2cm ish) in 25ml vial is kept on lightly damp but not soggy substrate and I add a single good size water drop on her webbing every other day to have a drink.
Regards Konstantin

T-Baby

3 Year Member
The species that prefer it drier yes I do.
As for the likes of your Avic I personally would still add a water dish and add a few droplets of water on the side once a week but never soak the substrate.
Just personal preference, I’m sure many keepers do the opposite.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Thanks for sharing your routine.Its much appreciated. You are right that other keepers will most likely have different way of doing things.This is why I started this thread and hopefully others will share their oppinion too.
P.S The bits that you send me with them exo terras are all put in good use.Thank you very much.The acrylic enclosure is my new Grammostola Pulchra juvenile female home but she plays fossorial atm so not taken any pics yet but will share once she is out and about.
Regards Konstantin

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi all
As we know all slings are lacking the waxy coating of their grown relatives and need to be kept a bit moist to prevent dehydration.
At what size (age) the so called arid species from the Brachypelma, Grammostola,Gbb,Avicularia ..... can be safely kept on dry substrate with water always available in a dish of course?
Regards Konstantin
All spiders need a little humidity all the time. Bone dry is never good. Even in the desert there is some humidity in the mornings....

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Arid species bottom layers of substrate should still be moist while the top is dry. You can achieve this by injecting water into the substrate with a injector/ turkey baster or a straw or tube installed in the corner leading under the substate.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Arid species bottom layers of substrate should still be moist while the top is dry. You can achieve this by injecting water into the substrate with a injector/ turkey baster or a straw or tube installed in the corner leading under the substate.
Like the idea of the tube in the corner for adding moisture .Thanks for the tip
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts