• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just why

elektragrl

3 Year Member
So my first T was supposed to be an Avic Avic and instead got an OBT was told I could keep it and the right one would be sent out soon (got that T and it died a week later but still have my OBT) and a local breeder gave me an awesome deal on a rose hair T with a 8x8x10 cage, hide, plastic plant, and substright for 70$. The rose hair is a sling just under an inch. This sling has given me the threat pose nearly every time I look or feed him/her. Is this my doing or is it the T? I mean my OBT isn't ever like this so it's got me feeling like this is not going to be a good home for it.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i dont know if i fully understand....spiders act they way they act. they are individuals...the way a certain species acts is just a guideline.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Well I understand that they are all individuals. I'm trying to get some feed back from other owners of rose hairs as to the way their Ts act and if they mellow out at some point.

Meludox

3 Year Member
You just happened to have gotten a salty tarantula. :D It may mellow out, it may not. My G. rosea has had mood swings of being very handleable to threat posing when I opened the enclosure. But she is an adult specimen and I have never worked with G. rosea slings so I'm not certain of how different they are temperament-wise.

Last edited:

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Well I understand that they are all individuals. I'm trying to get some feed back from other owners of rose hairs as to the way their Ts act and if they mellow out at some point.
It just may that 1 out of 1000 rose hairs that is a prick. It may be one that will bite and not wanna be held. Also, I hope ur keeping the sling in an enclosure of suitable size, because 8x8x10 is way to big for any sling.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
You just happened to have gotten a salty tarantula. :D It may mellow out, it may not. My G. rosea has had mood swings of being very handleable to threat posing when I opened the enclosure. But she is an adult specimen and I have never worked with G. rosea slings so I not certain of how different they are temperament-wise.

Lol salty ...I would use a different s word but yours is better. Thank you for your in put that does give me hope that it may mellow.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
It just may that 1 out of 1000 rose hairs that is a prick. It may be one that will bite and not wanna be held. Also, I hope ur keeping the sling in an enclosure of suitable size, because 8x8x10 is way to big for any sling.

I think you maybe right! And yes the sling is a more suitable enclosure. I just wanted the tank bundle without the T but wasn't going to pass a free T .....part of me wishes I had -.-

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My rosea is only 1/2" or so now if she's lucky. I got her as a 1/4" sling. She's calm as can be, very docile, never has done a threat pose, except to a pin head lateralis before tackling it for dinner. never flicked hairs. She's one of the 2 Ts we have that I will handle intentionally. The other is 1/4" G. pulchripes sling. and that's only cause they're so tiny it's hard for me to resist lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll look back on this later and smile. At some point many people in the hobby get more interested in the spiders with character or spirit. A one inch sling acting like that...that's too cute :D

micheldied

3 Year Member
Whether or not a T acts defensively has nothing to do with how suitable your setup is for it. If anything, a T acting defensive is a sign it's liking its home. I have honestly never personally met a nice Rosehair. It's the only T I've ever been bitten by (a 1.5 inch juvenile).

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll look back on this later and smile. At some point many people in the hobby get more interested in the spiders with character or spirit. A one inch sling acting like that...that's too cute :D
That would be me! Love the aggressive species the most. Wasn't always that way but grew into it. Probably because the remind me of.....well me ;)

Latest posts