• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a waiting game, or is something wrong?

Dyron.s

Dear Tarantula keepers,

I’ve had my B.Boehmei for almost a year now. In that time span she molted twice and seems happy with her enclosure.
It is only since last year octobre that she completely refused food and started to show sings of a possible pre-molt. Her bum was getting a bit bald and she started to stay more in her den. Now… almost 4 Months later there is no sign of progression or what so ever. When i try to tease her with a grass leaf she immediately turns into a threat posture. Also her bum is still pretty bald but not darkening up.
Am i just, as many times, overly concerned, or is there maybe something going on?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dear Tarantula keepers,

I’ve had my B.Boehmei for almost a year now. In that time span she molted twice and seems happy with her enclosure.
It is only since last year octobre that she completely refused food and started to show sings of a possible pre-molt. Her bum was getting a bit bald and she started to stay more in her den. Now… almost 4 Months later there is no sign of progression or what so ever. When i try to tease her with a grass leaf she immediately turns into a threat posture. Also her bum is still pretty bald but not darkening up.
Am i just, as many times, overly concerned, or is there maybe something going on?
This is actually normal and happens alot to newer tarantula keepers. When a slow growing tarantula (Brachypelma, Alphonopelma, Grammostola ect..) eats all the necessary amounts of food to fill up their caeca (food storage sacks) they still must wait for development to happen. Too much food too fast causes long periods of fast. The older the spider gets the longer the development cycle is. Next time spread the amount of food you fed it over a four month period and you may only see a month or so of fasting. Tarantulas should be fed slowly, they are designed to go weeks without eating.
My juvenile slow growers eat every few weeks with the adults eating once a month. All of my spiders fast no more then a week or two before molting.

Dyron.s

This is actually normal and happens alot to newer tarantula keepers. When a slow growing tarantula (Brachypelma, Alphonopelma, Grammostola ect..) eats all the necessary amounts of food to fill up their caeca (food storage sacks) they still must wait for development to happen. Too much food too fast causes long periods of fast. The older the spider gets the longer the development cycle is. Next time spread the amount of food you fed it over a four month period and you may only see a month or so of fasting. Tarantulas should be fed slowly, they are designed to go weeks without eating.
My juvenile slow growers eat every few weeks with the adults eating once a month. All of my spiders fast no more then a week or two before molting.
Great to here that is is completely normal:)
In the future i will take in mind to reduce the amount of food she gets so her fasting period wouldn’t take that long again
Thank you for the advice!