• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping Spider Enclosure Question

RaspberrySencha

Hello! First post and soon to be new jumper caretaker ☺️

I have never owned a spider, so this will be my first arachnid. I am working on gathering materials for his enclosure and so far I’ve been able to find good information. The only thing is I have seen conflicting op on the substrate. I was going to get reptisoil from the pet store, but I was told that would mold too quickly. It was suggested that I use fake grass from a craft store. What are you thoughts and experiences with this? I’ve seen several differing views and I just want some guidance. I appreciate your help!

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
You can also moss or potting soil or even both if you buy make sure the no harmful additives or fertiliser . Moss is quite good even let dry out still good for natural look .

MBullock

3 Year Member
Substrate in most cases is actually detrimental to salticidae in general. Most salticidae cannot handle stale musty stagnant air and rapidly decline in health. There are a few were sub is sorta required, like Hyllus diardi as those guys are tropical, but most phids can be kept without it. bright light and warmth and cross ventilation is far more important. for water i just spray the side. they're smart. they see it and know.

Plus if the enclosure falls without substrate the spider is likely to be just fine.

Decor is more important than substrate. they appreciate some kind of shelter and will use that instead of the ceiling, instead.