• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's time once again for, NAME THAT T!

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Ok ladies and gents, my wife brought this to my attention today, what looked to be a very pretty brown T with blond or at least light brown hairs. Her friend was selling the little guy/girl for 20 dollars. It was in what looked to me like a miserable state..on some sort of bark chip substrate, no hide, filthy nearly dry water dish. The little T was scrunched up in the corner hiding it's face, I had to take the little girl/guy home with me and give it a better hilome. The very moment the VERY moment I touched it's back leg with my paintbrush to try and reposition so I could cup her and place her somewhere temporary while I figure out how to make a better home for her she spun around and went into a threat posture after striking at the paintbrush once. The girls who was selling her said she was a "Brazilian Birdeater" I laughed and was like "which one?" She had no idea what I was talking about. So come on down for your chance to win this T it's dream home! Lol seriously though please help me out so I know how to properly set up her/his enclosure. And so I know what to expect from her/him. Was that instant defensive behaviour stress or normal behaviour? Stuff like that. Here are some pictures

20160605_190611.jpg
20160605_190559.jpg
20160605_190547.jpg

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Hmm a couple of those are close but not quite. Think I'd be safe setting her up in a terrestrial setting for now? It's definitely not an arboreal I don't think lol.. I threw out that bark chip stuff they had her in. Even in a bare small enclosure she seems more relaxed than she was. I'll probably put a good few inches of substrate incase she likes to burrow. Looking at her underside she definitely looks female but I won't know for sure til she molts. I've been looking up spiders with "Brazilian Birdeater" in their common name but as of yet no luck lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Set her up on good dry sub with a water dish and something for a hide. Solid basic stuff. Guessing it's an LP as they are all over the place and that's what the pet shops sell as the Brazilian birdeaters. I'm so far from expert though.
Dry sub, decent ventilation full water dish and a hide is always a safe thought till someone chimes in with reliable information :)

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its a Lasiodora sp, for certain. Which one? Couldn't tell you until it molts two or three more times, and starts showing color. Even then..Ld and Lp look the same to me, mid molt cycle.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And always try a moist area with all spiders, even dry species. Sometimes they like it, or need it..my big Lp enjoys a nice simulated rain, every few months or so.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Thank you! So same set up needed? I did a dry substrate with a water dish and "overflowed" the dish a bit so the substrate is damp around the dish. And of course a hide. Substrate is a cocofiber mix. She seems super happy and completely relaxed now. Yay for rescuing T's from uneducated owners lol.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
So looking at the pictures on the link Kymura sent up top there she resembles an LD to me but as you said Mass, she could be either considering how much T's seem to change after a molt lol. Either way it looks like I have a rather large spider to look forward to. How are their temperaments usually? I know each individual T is different but for the most part are Lasiodora SP. Pretty calm usually? I am curious if her extremely defensive behaviour was stress or normal for this species. We are talking very quick to strike. I use a soft paintbrush when corraling a T to be rehoused and such. She didn't just start moving like most but spun and struck the brush instantly. Startled me I am not ashamed to say.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
So update on my rescue, she took to her new more comfortable and proper enclosure instantly! I swear you could almost hear her sigh in relief. After 24 hours I dropped a good sized Dubia Roach in and BAM like lightning she was happily munching away. Absolutely awesome feeding response with the happy dance and all! And just for the sake of understanding my T I decided to see what would happen if I touched her with the brush again. She is a COMPLETELY different Spider! She just kinda moved away like *staaahp!* instead of viciously attacking as if she were fighting for her life! Me and the wife have decided to affectionately name her Olive and here are a couple of pictures! Thank you all for the help identifying her!

20160605_210659.jpg
Camera HDR Studio - 1465240912903.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So looking at the pictures on the link Kymura sent up top there she resembles an LD to me but as you said Mass, she could be either considering how much T's seem to change after a molt lol. Either way it looks like I have a rather large spider to look forward to. How are their temperaments usually? I know each individual T is different but for the most part are Lasiodora SP. Pretty calm usually? I am curious if her extremely defensive behaviour was stress or normal for this species. We are talking very quick to strike. I use a soft paintbrush when corraling a T to be rehoused and such. She didn't just start moving like most but spun and struck the brush instantly. Startled me I am not ashamed to say.
Both my Lp female and Ld are a little pissy, most times. The MM Lp has always been mostly docile. None are skittish, but they'll get defensive occasionally. Great genus.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Ok ladies and gents, my wife brought this to my attention today, what looked to be a very pretty brown T with blond or at least light brown hairs. Her friend was selling the little guy/girl for 20 dollars. It was in what looked to me like a miserable state..on some sort of bark chip substrate, no hide, filthy nearly dry water dish. The little T was scrunched up in the corner hiding it's face, I had to take the little girl/guy home with me and give it a better hilome. The very moment the VERY moment I touched it's back leg with my paintbrush to try and reposition so I could cup her and place her somewhere temporary while I figure out how to make a better home for her she spun around and went into a threat posture after striking at the paintbrush once. The girls who was selling her said she was a "Brazilian Birdeater" I laughed and was like "which one?" She had no idea what I was talking about. So come on down for your chance to win this T it's dream home! Lol seriously though please help me out so I know how to properly set up her/his enclosure. And so I know what to expect from her/him. Was that instant defensive behaviour stress or normal behaviour? Stuff like that. Here are some pictures

View attachment 17043 View attachment 17044 View attachment 17045
Definite Lasiodora. Beauty

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
So update on my rescue, she took to her new more comfortable and proper enclosure instantly! I swear you could almost hear her sigh in relief. After 24 hours I dropped a good sized Dubia Roach in and BAM like lightning she was happily munching away. Absolutely awesome feeding response with the happy dance and all! And just for the sake of understanding my T I decided to see what would happen if I touched her with the brush again. She is a COMPLETELY different Spider! She just kinda moved away like *staaahp!* instead of viciously attacking as if she were fighting for her life! Me and the wife have decided to affectionately name her Olive and here are a couple of pictures! Thank you all for the help identifying her!

View attachment 17073 View attachment 17074
Actually those last pix u posted have it looking exactly like my few LP's, now that I see the pink color

Latest posts