• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It happens to the best of us...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was giving my smallest Ts a spray tonight, those that are in containers where I can't fit a water bowl. I'd sprayed 8 of them with no problem but when I squirted water into the deli that houses my tiny (0.5") Pseudhapalopus sp. Blue, Neiva, the little monkey shot out onto my hand. I managed to get the lid of the deli over the sling but Neiva managed to slip out under the edge where it didn't quite touch my wrist. I almost got it again but then it vanished.

Now, I keep 25 T containers inside a 3' vivarium to protect them from the cats and all this action took place inside the vivarium. There are 3 8" cubes, 4 small arboreal containers, 16 4" cubes and 2 delis in there all to be checked over in case Neiva was on one of them - no sign. Not a sign of the sling across the back or sides or even along the front at the bottom. All that was left was the top front where the runners are so I ran my finger along and thankfully Neiva appeared on my other hand. By this time I had grabbed a 1" vial for a catch cup and managed to get the little escapee safely in with lid on. Neiva then behaved and went back in its deli without incident.

It just shows that no matter how much care you take there will always be one that makes a bid for freedom and usually one of the smallest ones that can be so difficult to spot.

This is the vivarium I had to check through.
DSCF6462.JPG

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Versicolor has taken the great leap of faith many times. Then I put him into a larger enclosure, waited for him to make a web and haven't had any other problems since.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They can be fast sometimes...ive chased little pokies for hours on my desk. At least you didnt quit and got it. For little slings I soak moss in water and drop a little ball of it in there. I also use a large eye dropper i got from the pharmacy that's for medicine. They don't get excited with it like they do with a spray bottle.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With the slings I have, I put the frog moss on top of their burrows once they go there to finish eating and spray it and the opposite wall.

Granted mine are slower then yours but usually if aT has a hiding place, it'll stay there once it goes there.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With the slings I have, I put the frog moss on top of their burrows once they go there to finish eating and spray it and the opposite wall.

Granted mine are slower then yours but usually if aT has a hiding place, it'll stay there once it goes there.

This one teleports. I can turn the deli completely around and never see it then suddenly it's right in front of me. It doesn't have a burrow either and no web, strange little T.

They can be fast sometimes...ive chased little pokies for hours on my desk. At least you didnt quit and got it. For little slings I soak moss in water and drop a little ball of it in there. I also use a large eye dropper i got from the pharmacy that's for medicine. They don't get excited with it like they do with a spray bottle.

I wasn't going to give up as it's my 2nd P. sp. Blue, the first died just after a moult. The eye dropper is a good idea though at least for this one, I think I have a small plastic syringe that would do the same job.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
The eye dropper is a good idea though at least for this one, I think I have a small plastic syringe that would do the same job.

This is what I've been using. I have a 10cc for the little enclosures and a big 60cc for the larger enclosures.

I learn so much just from reading what all of you more experienced keepers post here.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is what I've been using. I have a 10cc for the little enclosures and a big 60cc for the larger enclosures.

I learn so much just from reading what all of you more experienced keepers post here.

I use a 12" turkey baster to water the ones that have bowls especially the ones in the small arboreal containers but it's a bit too big to use in the delis and vials..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was giving my smallest Ts a spray tonight, those that are in containers where I can't fit a water bowl. I'd sprayed 8 of them with no problem but when I squirted water into the deli that houses my tiny (0.5") Pseudhapalopus sp. Blue, Neiva, the little monkey shot out onto my hand. I managed to get the lid of the deli over the sling but Neiva managed to slip out under the edge where it didn't quite touch my wrist. I almost got it again but then it vanished.

Now, I keep 25 T containers inside a 3' vivarium to protect them from the cats and all this action took place inside the vivarium. There are 3 8" cubes, 4 small arboreal containers, 16 4" cubes and 2 delis in there all to be checked over in case Neiva was on one of them - no sign. Not a sign of the sling across the back or sides or even along the front at the bottom. All that was left was the top front where the runners are so I ran my finger along and thankfully Neiva appeared on my other hand. By this time I had grabbed a 1" vial for a catch cup and managed to get the little escapee safely in with lid on. Neiva then behaved and went back in its deli without incident.

It just shows that no matter how much care you take there will always be one that makes a bid for freedom and usually one of the smallest ones that can be so difficult to spot.

This is the vivarium I had to check through.
View attachment 30999
so glad you found her. my b. albiceps juvenile escaped without me knowing. until I moved the box of substrate I have in the spider house and there she was. good job the spider house is sealed otherwise she would have been seagull food!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a 12" turkey baster to water the ones that have bowls especially the ones in the small arboreal containers but it's a bit too big to use in the delis and vials..
I use little vials. about £3 for 30 from eBay for the sling pots. if you use the blanking caps in cabinets they make really good tiny water dishes as well.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a plastic syringe and water through a small hole. Bolting Ts isn't really an issue I have. But it does mean I can water easily and don't need to open the container at all.