• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Isopods

rénee

3 Year Member
I know I made a thread about these guys already, but I picked up my isopods today and I don't know what I was really expecting but wow, these things are tiny, and I don't have any idea as to how many are in this container! They aren't even the size of my pinky fingernail, not even half the size!

But anyways, is there anything extra I should feed them while they are in my scorpion tank? Also are they going to breed, and if they do can they overbreed and cause a problem? If they die in the tank, because this is my first time trying these guys will that also cause a problem, will they mold..

Sorry I know I made a thread a while ago, I just figured if I made a new one I would get more responses than if I just commented on the old one. Thanks

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never used isopods but I intend to try them soon. From what I've read, any that die will be eaten by their comrades. I don't think you need to worry about getting too many, it would be a simple matter to separate them if they overpopulate. Remember they need moist substrate to thrive. And please let us know how they are, I'm curious if they're worth the trouble for my species that need more moisture.

rénee

3 Year Member
Thanks @Scoolman, they are going into my scorpion enclosure so it is moist. I also figured that when I feed my sling A.Avic, I only feed it half of a meal worm right now, so I will throw the other half into the scorpion enclosure as "food", plus they will clean up after the scorpions mess of cricket parts also. @MassExodus I also read that they will eat their fellow dead mates too. I mean you can only try right and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm thinking I might even put in a small/medium slab of bark and keep that really wet for them to hide in also.

Will

3 Year Member
I'm planning on getting some when I get a Theraphosa (can't decide on blondi or stirmi). It will be going in an exo-terra, so poor cross-ventilation + damp substrate = mould. Hoping the woodlouse will keep the mould at bay.

A slab of damp bark sounds like a good idea.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm planning on getting some when I get a Theraphosa (can't decide on blondi or stirmi). It will be going in an exo-terra, so poor cross-ventilation + damp substrate = mould. Hoping the woodlouse will keep the mould at bay.

A slab of damp bark sounds like a good idea.
Isopods will help reduce mold by removing things that can cause it, but if it's moisture and poor ventilation causing mold I doubt they'll be able to keep up.

I've been looking at springtails to put in my roach colony. From what I've been reading having both these and isopods is the best solution to keep a colony clean but I don't think I want to mess with both.

Latest posts