• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my tarantula molting?

Kathryn

3 Year Member
My spider has locked himself under his log out web on the opening and is on his back and is curled up in a ball is he molding? Please help

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes it is molting so leave it alone :)

The species doesn't really matter. A molting tarantula will normally block off its hide regardless. Sometimes certain species like Brachypelma, Grammastola ,and Aphonopelma will molt out in the open when larger.

Not to sound rude, but did you read any books or articles on tarantula care? Every book has a chapter on molting [emoji14] Again not trying to be a smart ass, it's just that this is really basic stuff. Even when I got my first tarantula when I was 10, I knew what a molting tarantula looked like [emoji14]

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with chubbs on this one. a tarantula on its back is hardly ever a bad thing. U have a view to see him. so sit back and watch the magic happen!