• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my tarantula dying?

Jlynsg16

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello everyone, it’s quite hard to ask this question, I’ve research this question before when I first got my avicularia avicularia two years ago. I’m unsure if I’m over reacting or if the day I never wanted to come, came.

When my tarantula molted i was able to determine it was male. Like I mentioned before I got him (Radish) two years ago from a pet smart. I believe I got him when he was at least a year old or maybe more? In my care he’s only molted once in the years I’ve had him and from the research I’ve done slings and younger Ts molt a lot more often than that. I’ll provide photos of Radish and perhaps it’ll help you all understand my concerns.

Perhaps I’m wrong and there’s more I can do to better his enclosure and perhaps that’ll help him go back to being his best self.

Radish is usually very active and never at the bottom of his enclosure unless he’s down to get a bit of water. He hunts his food well besides his most recent feeding, he didn’t eat the crickets provided. Maybe just one I have to double check.

I found him on the floor like this once before his week, I thought maybe he wanted water and I forgot to change it/refill it. When I opened his enclosure he did react to the sudden movement and climb up the side of his enclosure. He remained there the last day or two, but tonight I came home to find him in this position.

I normally don’t touch my Radish- I let him be. I know better than to handle a T. But today I did boop his butt a bit to see how he’d react and he didn’t react much at all. He did spread his legs wide but he didn’t scurry off like he usually would. Is this the behavior of a T that’s near it’s death? Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FE5CED8F-DD16-4D4D-8C06-016602AF3135.jpeg
    FE5CED8F-DD16-4D4D-8C06-016602AF3135.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Jlynsg16

What do you have him in? Is it a cabinet? Usually when they’re on the ground it's either dehydration or too much humidity/lack of ventilation or fresh air..
It’s an open shelf not a cabinet, the enclosure has a lot of ventilation holes all around the sides and the top as well. Perhaps It’s dehydration, how would I be able to hydrate Him?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It’s an open shelf not a cabinet, the enclosure has a lot of ventilation holes all around the sides and the top as well. Perhaps It’s dehydration, how would I be able to hydrate Him?
Water the substrate underneath him slowly without startling him. I use a turkey baster. He will drink from the substrate. Also make sure you have a large bowl for him to drink from.

Jlynsg16

image.jpg
Water the substrate underneath him slowly without startling him. I use a turkey baster. He will drink from the substrate. Also make sure you have a large bowl for him to drink from.
Okay thank you I really appreciate the advice. He does have a water bowl in there, let me insert a photo. Let me know if I should get a larger one or anything. Another thing I did recently about three weeks ago change his enclosure, he used to be in a slightly smaller one. Could this also be a reason why there’s been change in his behavior?

Jlynsg16

Okay thank you I really appreciate the advice. He does have a water bowl in there, let me insert a photo. Let me know if I should get a larger one or anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

TheInv4sion

If you just rehoused recently he may just not be settled in. It took my C. versicolor a month before she settled so perhaps just keep an eye on his abdomen and keep water dish full

Latest posts