• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my LP's enclosure too small?

katec

3 Year Member
Hi all i got my 2 year old LP from someone a couple of weeks ago, he is i would say 7 inch leg span (rough guess) and the enclosure he came in is only 13" by 8" and 7 depth, now i know they like small enclosures but surely this is too small ? Also she never used a heat mat either :/ his been ok for 2 years without one but surely i should heat his home too? atm my thermometer is saying 21.4 c please advice i want my T to be happy :D many thanks

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you have a small space heater you can use for the room? Most people use those instead of heat mats, which are said to be dangerous. The enclosure is a little too small, yes, I would use something larger like a 10 or 20 gallon. A ten would be fine though. Or better yet, a low, wide plastic container with good cross ventilation holes drilled or burned into it. 21 degrees C is 69 degrees F, that would be ok for the night time drop in temp, but it's too low for a constant temperature. I keep mine at 75 F .

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you have a small space heater you can use for the room? Most people use those instead of heat mats, which are said to be dangerous. /QUOTE]

Heat mats are fine as long as you have a thermostat on it that will switch the mat off in case of problems

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heat mats are fine as long as you have a thermostat on it that will switch the mat off in case of problems
I've never actually used one..just heard bad stuff that made me shy away from them. It wouldn't surprise me to find it's another hobby boogyman tale that's spread like wildfire..:p If you say they're alright, and haven't had issues, then I'll take your word for it Enn.

katec

3 Year Member
Do you have a small space heater you can use for the room? Most people use those instead of heat mats, which are said to be dangerous. The enclosure is a little too small, yes, I would use something larger like a 10 or 20 gallon. A ten would be fine though. Or better yet, a low, wide plastic container with good cross ventilation holes drilled or burned into it. 21 degrees C is 69 degrees F, that would be ok for the night time drop in temp, but it's too low for a constant temperature. I keep mine at 75 F .
I actually use a space heater to get warm once home from work but his temp has gone up now i will do my best to keep him at 75 as u say and i did plan on getting him a new home but wanted some advice first so thank you very much

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually use a space heater to get warm once home from work but his temp has gone up now i will do my best to keep him at 75 as u say and i did plan on getting him a new home but wanted some advice first so thank you very much
No problem :) Some folks consider 75 to be a little low still, but I like that temp for me and my spiders.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never actually used one..just heard bad stuff that made me shy away from them. It wouldn't surprise me to find it's another hobby boogyman tale that's spread like wildfire..:p If you say they're alright, and haven't had issues, then I'll take your word for it Enn.

Some makes of mats are more reliable than others but in the UK they are used a great deal especially for snakes which will quite happily lie on the mat and consequently get burnt if the mat overheats hence the need for stats. I used to keep and breed snakes so I got into the habit of using stats with all forms of heating for vivariums. The US have always seemed reluctant to use thermostats although I've never understood why.

The ExoTerras all share one long narrow mat on a thermostat and the 2 wooden vivs have a mat each along the back again both on stats. It means that even if the temps drop in the room the Ts are ok.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some makes of mats are more reliable than others but in the UK they are used a great deal especially for snakes which will quite happily lie on the mat and consequently get burnt if the mat overheats hence the need for stats. I used to keep and breed snakes so I got into the habit of using stats with all forms of heating for vivariums. The US have always seemed reluctant to use thermostats although I've never understood why.
Well, I saw a zilla thermostat at the pet store a few months ago, it was $80...I'm sure there must be cheaper ones, but they aren't readily available in pet stores from what I've seen. If I were to look into it, I'd probably find something much cheaper though..so I'm not sure why, either..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, I saw a zilla thermostat at the pet store a few months ago, it was $80...I'm sure there must be cheaper ones, but they aren't readily available in pet stores from what I've seen. If I were to look into it, I'd probably find something much cheaper though..so I'm not sure why, either..

Try EBay or an aquatics shop. As long as it has a probe that can be stuck onto the heat mat with tape, it'll be fine.

Fleas

3 Year Member
80$ that's how much I paid for my bad ass oil field space heater:eek: it haven't gotten cold yet but I keep my house warm enough still have not gotten the 20 more on the electric bill a month, so far...o_O

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry that one went over my head did not understand lol
Haha, nevermind..you mentioned oil field and I live right on the Eagle Ford Shale in Texas, which was booming recently..the only one booming, I believe, besides one in N Dakota..anyway, my mistake :p Thought maybe you were one of the thousands of oilfield workers that migrated here recently..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My oil field heater was only like 69 bucks and works like a charm. :) @MassExodus quit pickin on @Fleas . lol :D:p
I wasn't...wait, oil field heater, is that a brand name? I'm confused...I swear I was just asking him if he worked the oil field...:confused: Apparently I've lost my mind..I thought he was referring to the big heaters they use in the oil field...my bad...

Fleas

3 Year Member
Lol English language is cazy perhaps there's two ways to spell field, filled?? The farmer works on his corn field all day. That cup is filled with water. So am the one that did not pronounce it right sorry I screwd with your head MassExodus:rolleyes:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol English language is cazy perhaps there's two ways to spell field, filled?? The farmer works on his corn field all day. That cup is filled with water. So am the one that did not pronounce it right sorry I screwd with your head MassExodus:rolleyes:
I didn't even realize that when I looked it up either..lol :D I have 5 pumpkin patch slings firmly in the middle of my brain right now. I've noticed that when new thoughts enter, something else gets pushed out, like I'm out of space...that's probably not good..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol i figured it was just a typo and was going along with it. I knew fleas meant filled. lol cause thats what i have. man did this go crazy quick. lmao.

Latest posts