• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my C darlingi dying?

Julespooks

I found what I think to be mites in my darlingi's enclosure so I rehoused him right away. I didn't have any proper substrate left and stores were closed so I used potting soil in another empty enclosure as a temporary solution. I came home today and he was lying on his back so I thought he could be molting. I did feed him a few days though so it was a bit strange. It's been 3 hours and he's still like this. Did the tarantula somehow die? I've never seen a tarantula die on its back before

Attachments

• 20210831_182457.jpg
    20210831_182457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

Tarantulafeets

Does it still respond to stimuli? Anything with fertilizer is a no no, probably what caused it. Next time try to stick with organic topsoil or coco fiber or something.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Seeing this now I was going to say this mature male likely died of old age as well ;)
No need to feel sad, he looks like he had a great life.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think he was a fully mature male. But I did end up realizing I didn't use soil that was good for him. My mistake and I'll definitely try to be more careful for my others
Definitely a fully matured male. Please do not be hard on yourself.
Have a nice day.
015A95E7-A49E-4977-8DFB-8F8A0F4251FC.jpeg

JACEY

IME looks like he's molting. No inward death curl angle of the legs. Google Tarantula death curl you'll see what I mean. My curlys eat up to couple days before molt. Different species different habits. good luck.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My buddy, Ourspoil, was showing you tibial hooks.... just before the second joint on the front legs. When male tarantulas mature, they undergo some impressive changes. Their legs become thin and lanky, their pedipalps become embolic with hemolymph (they look like there are boxing gloves at the ends of the pedipalps) AND most species get hooks on the tibias of the first two legs. These hooks are used to grasp a female in a stand up position, usually under her fangs, so he can mate with her.
Check Ourspoil's pic again, you will be able to see the hooks. He and I believe your male died of old age--not due to the soil.
SO.....please don't beat yourself up.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IME looks like he's molting. No inward death curl angle of the legs. Google Tarantula death curl you'll see what I mean. My curlys eat up to couple days before molt. Different species different habits. good luck.
Sorry, friend.. That is a death curl. Many old males die on their backs.