• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting Behaviour?? Injured T and Molt

Volkswachter

I recently received 5 P. ornata, four of whom made the journey without incident, one of whom had for whatever reason, lost 6 of his 8 legs during shipping but was still alive; I've been nursing him for the last two days; when to my curiosity, I caught him molting this morning.
The slings are approximately 1/4" and I know that slings grow quickly, however none of the other specimens are showing signs of molting, only the injured one. It's a bit of a stretch since a study of one is worthless, however I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with a severely injured T going into a "forced molt" to rejuvenate their damaged bodies.
I would assume that it would take time for the missing limbs to begin regrowing in order to begin emerging post-molt; it could definitely be a coincidence too, but it's still really interesting to me given the extensive damage.

Interested in hearing what your guy's thoughts are on this.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It may have been already to close to molt when it lost its legs. 1/4" is extremely small for a ornata. At eggs with legs stage they are much bigger then that. 3/4"-1" is what they are at 2nd instar when they are ready for sale. If you purchased them sooner then that it is unethical to sell and I would ask for a refund.

Volkswachter

It may have been already to close to molt when it lost its legs. 1/4" is extremely small for a ornata. At eggs with legs stage they are much bigger then that. 3/4"-1" is what they are at 2nd instar when they are ready for sale. If you purchased them sooner then that it is unethical to sell and I would ask for a refund.
How are you measuring them? Diagonal leg length?

Latest posts