• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Insecticide bombs

ElBurto

Hello everyone. My name is Mel, I'm new here.

I have a question about insecticide bombs for you're home. I want to bomb my house because I found a flea. Of course I'll take my animals out, but when I bring them back in will it effect my Tarantula? He's a Champagne Robustus and he's 6 months old.

Thank you

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would imagine that yes, an insecticide bomb would affect your T, if you return it to your home too soon after using it. As I would imagine, that would be the desired effect for these insecticides. I would not know what a suitable time period would be, before returning your T's. But I would personally not want any of my T's somewhere an insecticide bomb had been used for maybe a week or more.

I have no idea what the effect on a T would be of an insecticide like this. Or how long such things last. But would suspect that, in part, they coat surfaces around a home with their chemicals, via the smoke. So I would not want to use a room for my T's, that had not been protected against the smoke & then given a very good wet cloth clean down.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your T's container is going to be & you will need to take extra care for at least several weeks, to ensure you do not contaminate your T, or it's environment via touching surfaces around your home when doing maintenance, feeding etc.

When I worked in the building trade, I went into an empty house that had been locked up for over a week, after one of those insecticide bombs had been used & you could still smell it. Personally, I would not use an insecticide bomb in my home, as I have T's. I have no idea what effect they will have on T's, or for how long they are dangerous to anything. But I would not personally risk it.

mercydrury

So not to scare u but just so u are aware this was posted on another site I’m on. I currently have a hotel room for all of my T’s and jumpers since we are renovating or fixing a pipe leak at home. I heard drywall can kill and they are spraying a germicide for black mold. My sister has company otherwise I would have taken them there. But good either way!

Attachments

• IMG_6191.jpeg
    IMG_6191.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
No way in Hades would I ever set one of those things off anywhere within my yard or especially in the house for that matter! Insecticide kills by attacking the nervous system like poison gas used in warfare! This is a horrendous way to die and can't imagine taking that kind of risk with my babies!! Please don't. The dilemma you are facing is probably like the one I face. A mammal pet like a dog or cat! I have a cat but he stays in house full time. Even so I still see the odd flea once in a while. If you have carpet there is sevendust but this could still cause harm to your T's. Not nowhere as all consuming as a bomb but still! But bug bombs I would never! Good luck!