• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm Officially a Tarantula Breeder Now

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hahaha....you get a system after a while. Heres a video over a year ago of me feeding over 200 slings. Let me know when your slings are ready...we can do some trading.
In the time lapse segment you were dumping a baggie into the small tub. What was in the baggie, and how were you getting the food into each cup?

Thanks for the videos.

How will I know when they are ready? Judging by their feeding reactions today, they seem pretty ready now!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I took some close ups tonight.
IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG

I timed how long it takes me to do the feeding and watering. About 1:30 for every four cups. That will be about an hour and ten minutes. Not as bad as I thought.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The baggie had pinhead red runners in it. I shake the pinheads off the egg crates into the baggie. I then pour a bunch into a small vial/ pill bottle then shake a couple into each enclosure.

They are usually ready to ship as soon as they eat. I like to feed them a few times.

Kornluvr

Id like to sell them all, but I have to admit, I'm pretty ignorant about how to pack and ship them. I've certainly received a bunch of them, but I'm a bit nervous to try it without some supervision and guidance from someone who knows what they are doing. I pack and ship tortoises all the time, but teeny tiny little fragile spiders are a different thing altogether.

Anyone know anyone in the L.A. area that can help me out?

Kornluvr

Hi Tom
Congrats! What kind of tarantula is it? Also, you said you didnt know how to ship the babies...I received a baby once as a gift. It was shipped overnight and came in a medicine bottle stuffed with cotton. I was so excited and bought one of those small animal cages but I checked on it a couple of hours later and it escaped through the tiny vent holes in the lid. I never did find that sucker. It was a Mexican red leg, so I went to the pet shop and bought another one. I have the red leg and a Rosehair. I caught my cat trying to get a closer look today.

Attachments

• 20190823_162206.jpg
    20190823_162206.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Put them together a few times weeks ago and never saw any action. Someone here suggested leaving the male with her overnight, so I did. Came back in the morning and he was still alive and well, so I put him back in his own enclosure. He's still eating like a champ to this day. A few days later, she went underground and webbed herself in. I tried every angle to look in and see what she was doing, but the whole damn enclosure is completely webbed over. I kept the water bowl filled and figured she'd come back out when she was ready. Today was feeding day, and it looks like she was ready to come back out... with about a hundred new babies.
View attachment 40067

I haven't got them all separated out yet, but I'll count them when I finish that task later tonight. I put mom in a big deli cup and these little babies are surprisingly adept at avoiding capture.

I found the sac. She was buried deep and way down in the middle of everything. In hindsight I would have wrecked everything if I had gone looking for her. I wondered what was going on in there, but I'm glad I left her alone now.
View attachment 40068

Lots of little exoskeletons in the webbing around the empty sac:
View attachment 40069

I have 3 dozen of these AMAC boxes, and I think the rest are going to have to go into whatever other little vials and deli cups I have around. So much fun!
View attachment 40070

I'll get a better close up later, but these things are so gorgeous!
View attachment 40071
She should be proud of herself great job mama

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hi Tom
Congrats! What kind of tarantula is it? Also, you said you didnt know how to ship the babies...I received a baby once as a gift. It was shipped overnight and came in a medicine bottle stuffed with cotton. I was so excited and bought one of those small animal cages but I checked on it a couple of hours later and it escaped through the tiny vent holes in the lid. I never did find that sucker. It was a Mexican red leg, so I went to the pet shop and bought another one. I have the red leg and a Rosehair. I caught my cat trying to get a closer look today.
Your kitty (and T's) are beautiful!!!!

Linzrabo

Put them together a few times weeks ago and never saw any action. Someone here suggested leaving the male with her overnight, so I did. Came back in the morning and he was still alive and well, so I put him back in his own enclosure. He's still eating like a champ to this day. A few days later, she went underground and webbed herself in. I tried every angle to look in and see what she was doing, but the whole damn enclosure is completely webbed over. I kept the water bowl filled and figured she'd come back out when she was ready. Today was feeding day, and it looks like she was ready to come back out... with about a hundred new babies.
View attachment 40067

I haven't got them all separated out yet, but I'll count them when I finish that task later tonight. I put mom in a big deli cup and these little babies are surprisingly adept at avoiding capture.

I found the sac. She was buried deep and way down in the middle of everything. In hindsight I would have wrecked everything if I had gone looking for her. I wondered what was going on in there, but I'm glad I left her alone now.
View attachment 40068

Lots of little exoskeletons in the webbing around the empty sac:
View attachment 40069

I have 3 dozen of these AMAC boxes, and I think the rest are going to have to go into whatever other little vials and deli cups I have around. So much fun!
View attachment 40070

I'll get a better close up later, but these things are so gorgeous!
View attachment 40071
Hi Tom, have you figured out how to mail these babies? I want one