• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think, I think too much.

CritterKeeper79

So, I was thinking about winter power outages. So here’s my plan. I have a spare closet and had an idea. If I put a shelf in there and insulate it with styrofoam sheets I can reap benefits, even when there’s no power outage. So I put my shelving in there where it’s insulated, put my roach colony at the bottom with their heat mat. The heat rises in the whole closet and the tarantulas reap the benefits of a temp bump. I don’t have to keep the whole room warm. Am I thinking crazy here or is this a good idea? This way if an outage comes, I can keep a box or two of hot hands to keep them comfortable. Even if I keep T’s elsewhere, I could figure out a way in a pinch, to put them all in that closet. The only thing I could see problematic is humidity, the humidity could become high, due to more moisture dependent species being in there, which dryer species may not appreciate. However most people who heat whole rooms probably have high humidity anyway and never report their dry species suffering.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You'd have an easier go of it using a cabinet, insulating it, and using a small ceramic space heater on a battery backup system with a thermostatic relay.

The real question, how many tarantulas do you have and how long of an outage do you think you need to accommodate?

CritterKeeper79

You'd have an easier go of it using a cabinet, insulating it, and using a small ceramic space heater on a battery backup system with a thermostatic relay.

The real question, how many tarantulas do you have and how long of an outage do you think you need to accommodate?
Well winter in a couple months away, I have 19. So by then at current trajectory, 119? J/K but seriously 19. Outage length? Not sure, we had an ice storm in 2012, lost power for 5 days, much like Texas just endured.

Latest posts