• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need advice please.....

mommabearbrown3

Hello all, I'm new to this site, my name is Jess. I've had a few tarantula's in my life but I'm not part of any community online bc I don't have social media. ANYWAYS!!! Back story, I have an 18 year old rose hair, she was free on craigslist years ago, got her when she was about 11 years, that's what they said. She's molted twice since I've had her. First time was a breeze for her. Perfect molt, no issues. Fast forward to last week.
About 6 days ago I noticed she was a little wobbly, not eating, not drinking, figured it's molt time. I was correct. I kept checking on her and she was just chilling, go check again and she's molting. However, she molted upright. No biggy from my research, again, however. Her position was so wonky. Two of her legs on her left side was straight up and down up against her tank, and at this point I was very scared to flip her bc she was already starting to pop off her shell. (that's what I call it, I'm sure there is the right way to call it.)
She did alright coming out of the right side, but two legs were stuck stuck on her left side, to two legs straight up against the glass. I left her be thinking okay, she got this. She's a tough old gal. I started to panic internally but started doing research so I decided to intervene to help her out as carefully as possible. I really wish I did sooner, but I have never had a T molt upright, let alone in a wonky position.
My husband stood by as I gently got her to move from the glass so she can free her two legs. She did. Another problem I noticed that half her molt was still very much stuck to her. I left her be due to the fact that she just had a tough molt, already intervened with her leg and I didn't want to cause anymore stress than she has already gone through.
Fast forward to the next day, the molt started coming off on it's own but I was afraid if it stayed on that it would eventually catch as it was dragging and feared a cut or ruptured abdomen. I intervened, she was pretty chill. I raised the humidity a bit to help loosen it up. It worked.
OKAY!!! Sorry for the novel, just had to cover most of the important bases. She's now still struggling but is pretty determined. She is having a hard time walking. She moves sideways like a crab now bc she figured that's the easiest way to move about. But, still struggling. She trips over her now deformed leg, I'll post the pics I got. She's refusing water. Won't even touch it, and when she does touch it she scurries the quickest she can away from it, sideways and usually trips and flips. :(
My grumpy old gal isn't the same after this molt. She's terrified of everything compared to before you even give her water she's on you like stink on poo, fangs out, super territorial. Normal behavior for her. Now though she's completely different. It sounds stupid but it's honestly breaking my heart seeing her try so hard but struggle so badly. I don't know what to do.
She loves to climb so I lowered her sticks so it'd be easier for her, it has been. But I've also noticed that she's not laying down any web. She likes a nice thick carpet to chill on or a log, never been a hideout type of gal. Her little spinner also looks out of place. lays flat always and it crosses the other. Another discovery, one of her book lungs still has some old molt attached and I'm afraid that it's blocked. I don't know what to do. Has anyone's T ever had such a difficult molt? Again, I really do apologize about the novel, I just need some advice on what I need to do. I feel terrible for her. Kicking myself in the butt for not flipping her, was too scared bc she was already in the process. Any help would greatly be appreciated. More than you know. I love my old gal, she's family. I'll post pics of the process and after. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 20201029_165133.jpg
    20201029_165133.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20201029_165151.jpg
    20201029_165151.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20201029_181713.jpg
    20201029_181713.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20201029_183252.jpg
    20201029_183252.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201029_184554.jpg
    20201029_184554.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201030_100253.jpg
    20201030_100253.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20201030_100300.jpg
    20201030_100300.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20201030_125245.jpg
    20201030_125245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It looks like she did not molt all the way. Hopefully she will start eating again and molting again in the near future. Be glad that you did not flip her over. That would not make a difference. Sometimes they molt in an upright position.
Welcome to TF!
:)

mommabearbrown3

It looks like she did not molt all the way. Hopefully she will start eating again and molting again in the near future. Be glad that you did not flip her over. That would not make a difference. Sometimes they molt in an upright position.
Welcome to TF!
:)
Yeah she didn't molt all the way. had to raise humidity a bit to loosen the old molt up so I could gently peel off the rest. It's all gone now except some is blocking her book lung. Hoping she eats and drinks soon. No new evidence of any webbing either. Stressing me out bc I'm pretty worried about her. :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That was the game plan when my husband got home. Thank you. How long do you think it'll take her to eat and drink water? She's never been this way before.

I'd give her at least a week before feeding her, wait until her fangs harden and turn black but it may take longer before she feels like eating. Just make sure she has fresh water in easy reach.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
More specifically, the exoskeleton covers all but a small slit where CO2 is liberated and O2 enters. Respiration travels down a recess deep within the slit in which there is a series of disks shaped like the pages of a book. Within the disks, Air traverses. Between the disks spider hemolymph travels. When a spider molts, the cover over the discs is part of the exuvium. With the use of a microscope, there should be small slits in each booklung on the molt.
So, using a small bit of soap on a moist brush is safe. You would have to flood the slits to 2-3 booklungs in order to severely damage a spider's respiration. On the other hand, if an exuvium covers just one booklung, you are only impairing 25% of the spider's aeration. One could make an argument in this case, to ignore the problem as the spider will likely behave normally since they are mostly sedentary creatures. I think there have been examples listed "on that other site" in which adherent exuvium over a booklung did not impair the tarantula.

I hope this helps.

mommabearbrown3

More specifically, the exoskeleton covers all but a small slit where CO2 is liberated and O2 enters. Respiration travels down a recess deep within the slit in which there is a series of disks shaped like the pages of a book. Within the disks, Air traverses. Between the disks spider hemolymph travels. When a spider molts, the cover over the discs is part of the exuvium. With the use of a microscope, there should be small slits in each booklung on the molt.
So, using a small bit of soap on a moist brush is safe. You would have to flood the slits to 2-3 booklungs in order to severely damage a spider's respiration. On the other hand, if an exuvium covers just one booklung, you are only impairing 25% of the spider's aeration. One could make an argument in this case, to ignore the problem as the spider will likely behave normally since they are mostly sedentary creatures. I think there have been examples listed "on that other site" in which adherent exuvium over a booklung did not impair the tarantula.

I hope this helps.
I made up a little ICU and had her in it for about 24 hours. I finally mustard the courage to pick her up to check her out and then I noticed small bits of leftover exoskeleton in her tub. She's perked up pretty drastically. She's usually pretty aggressive and I noticed today she started getting back to her b*tchy normal self. She's back in her tank, climbing like crazy and laying web down. She's not doing the side scoot like she was doing. She's learning how to work with the legs she has now. I'm just super happy she's feel much better. I appreciate all of you who reached out and helped. She's my only T and tbh I was terrified of losing her.
Side note, my youngest and I took advantage of her being chill and allowed my youngest to have her on her lap. She's been obsessed with this T since she was a baby. She was so excited to finally have her Frenchy up close and personal as opposed to a tank between them. Told her that this is more likely the only time she'll ever hold her. This was the 3rd time she was ever held since we got her. I like to leave her be as much as possible. Thanks again for all the help. I'm happy I found an awesome community that loves tarantula's as much as I do.

Attachments

• 20201107_153852.jpg
    20201107_153852.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201108_120710.jpg
    20201108_120710.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 5

mommabearbrown3

Glad she is doing better, after the next molt she will be back to normal. And that molt could come pretty soon! :)
Really? She's pretty up the in age. Will she molt soon to fix herself? I only ask bc I've never had a T molt like she did. Her first like was about 5 years ago. I've had her for about 8 years and the recent molt makes molt #2. That'd be awesome if she did molt again, she's still beautiful to me regardless of the deformities. But I would prefer if she molted soon so there's absolutely no struggling for her. I'd like for her life to be easier. :)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Really? She's pretty up the in age. Will she molt soon to fix herself? I only ask bc I've never had a T molt like she did. Her first like was about 5 years ago. I've had her for about 8 years and the recent molt makes molt #2. That'd be awesome if she did molt again, she's still beautiful to me regardless of the deformities. But I would prefer if she molted soon so there's absolutely no struggling for her. I'd like for her life to be easier. :)
After one of mine had a bad molt, she molted again about 8 weeks later...should have taken more than a year...

Latest posts