• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I hear crickets . . .

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I saw a web site that sells 500 "feeding" crickets for about $15. Now it's not about the dinero but I was wondering if that kind of quantity is for breeders or if you like to collect Ts. I can get 50 crickets at a local bait shop for $3. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanx.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is a good amount of crickets if you have a large collection, for small collections it would be pointless since they die off quickly. However I wouldn't spend that much on crickets because they stink and as I said already, they die off quickly. Mealworms, superworms and dubia roaches are much better alternatives. I would get the 50 crickets instead of the 500, especially if you plan to feed soon after purchase.

From one of your other posts I gather you have no tarantulas currently? If so 50 may be a bit much for a small collection. I have tarantulas a various sizes. I don't feed my tarantulas crickets very often (except for the slings who get one cricket or cricket parts twice a week), but when I do 50 is enough to feed most of my collection.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I pay$10.00 for 200 crickets....$15.00 for 500 would be a good price. I don't keep crickets though...they stink. When I buy them they are gone that day. That website is probably focusing on reptile owners.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
It is a good amount of crickets if you have a large collection, for small collections it would be pointless since they die off quickly. However I wouldn't spend that much on crickets because they stink and as I said already, they die off quickly. Mealworms, superworms and dubia roaches are much better alternatives. I would get the 50 crickets instead of the 500, especially if you plan to feed soon after purchase.

From one of your other posts I gather you have no tarantulas currently? If so 50 may be a bit much for a small collection. I have tarantulas a various sizes. I don't feed my tarantulas crickets very often (except for the slings who get one cricket or cricket parts twice a week), but when I do 50 is enough to feed most of my collection.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
This will be my first T. I'll try the worms in the beginning. Sounds like less hassle and NO stink. Thanx.