• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I am very curious about my tarantula's behavior?! maybe you can help?

katec

3 Year Member
Hi guys i am hoping you all could shed some light on this for me...
I came home after work today to my salmon pink T upside down in a hammock type webbing and i got excited as this i have read means molting. A little while later i noticed he was on his feet again and rubbing his fangs up and down constantly for a good half hour, now he is going around his enclosure and gradually taking his webbing apart just destroying the bed he had made, he has not molted and i am just wandering if this is normal from what you guys know?

david11

3 Year Member
maybe something disturbed it or the temperature or humidity is too high or too low? ask the guy who you bought it from if she/he did this before
i remember my A.Geniculata did this and i misted the enclosure a bit and an hour later she started molting again and she did it sucsessfully.

katec

3 Year Member
Thank you that is very helpful i hope he tries again soon it was very interesting to watch.

Payden King

3 Year Member
Is he mature? Does he have bulbous palps and tibial hooks? My mature male did this. It is a sperm web and it's how they get the sperm in their palps to prepare for the ladies ;)

katec

3 Year Member
oh wow that's really interesting :D i have only had him 5 days but i was told he is 2 years old and i think his around 7 inch

katec

3 Year Member
But but but the original poster stated that the T was upside down on the web mat... just pointing it out. :p
Yes that is right Redcap i am adding a picture
IMG_3558.JPG

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
My G. Pulchripes reached maturity a couple of weeks ago and since he is the first tarantula to reach full adulthood I kind of freaked out when mine did the same. I thought my tarantula is on drugs and laying his molting mat upside down. Then i started to panic and thought what if he is spinning himself a little web coffin. So I took a picture and sent is to my tarantula breeder and asked him what is going on. He calmed me down and explained the wole sperm web thing. I felt kind of silly but even after years of owning tarantulas and raising them from slings you learn something new every day. Now you just need to decide what you are going to do with that little guy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, 100 % sure he's making a sperm
My G. Pulchripes reached maturity a couple of weeks ago and since he is the first tarantula to reach full adulthood I kind of freaked out when mine did the same. I thought my tarantula is on drugs and laying his molting mat upside down. Then i started to panic and thought what if he is spinning himself a little web coffin. So I took a picture and sent is to my tarantula breeder and asked him what is going on. He calmed me down and explained the wole sperm web thing. I felt kind of silly but even after years of owning tarantulas and raising them from slings you learn something new every day. Now you just need to decide what you are going to do with that little guy.
lmao, web coffin...that's too cute:D:T:

katec

3 Year Member
Well i feel very privileged to have witnessed this within 5 days of owing him...... Do they stop molting once mature?

Latest posts