• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to transition to slings?

Lemon

The smallest I've kept was a 1 inch C. Darlingi does that count as a sling? It hadd more adult coloration so I'm assuming not, but is there anything I should watch out for? I'm soon about to get four

SullivanC

I dont have darlingi but I hear they dont get very large and people say at most they only get about 5 inches big as mature female so if its true that they get up to 5inches then yes 1 inch would still be considered sling :)

Lemon

I dont have darlingi but I hear they dont get very large and people say at most they only get about 5 inches big as mature female so if its true that they get up to 5inches then yes 1 inch would still be considered sling :)
Alright! Also a little information that may help is that the slings I'm getting are N. Chromatus N. Coloratovillosus A. Geniculata and P. Atrichomatus

SullivanC

Alright! Also a little information that may help is that the slings I'm getting are N. Chromatus N. Coloratovillosus A. Geniculata and P. Atrichomatus
Are they all inch big too? :) I am pretty sure you already know but if you had like a dwarf species 1 inch could be a juvenile but since darlingi arent dwarf tarantulas it still would be considered a sling :)

SullivanC

Yup! An inch or less, I currently have no dwarfs
They all have great appetite but I dont know anything about p. atrichomatus so I dont know how their appetite is but since they are sling you should also provide some deep substrate for them to burrow and since they are about inch big you can also add tattoo ink cups as water dish but only the smallest possible size to prevent them from drowning :)

Lemon

They all have great appetite but I dont know anything about p. atrichomatus so I dont know how their appetite is but since they are sling you should also provide some deep substrate for them to burrow and since they are about inch big you can also add tattoo ink cups as water dish but only the smallest possible size to prevent them from drowning :)
Baby Dubia shoukd be fine correct? As feeders?

Lemon

They also seem to molt faster in summer :) do you like old worlds? :)
Yup! I got three! O. Aureotibialis, M. Balfouri, and C. Darlingi, I used to have a P. Formosa but it had a bad molt unfortunately due to my ignorance of husbandry, I'm gonna do better with my next pokie though! Whenever or whatever species it might be!

SullivanC

Yup! I got three! O. Aureotibialis, M. Balfouri, and C. Darlingi, I used to have a P. Formosa but it had a bad molt unfortunately due to my ignorance of husbandry, I'm gonna do better with my next pokie though! Whenever or whatever species it might be!
Those are great species! :D this is just a suggestion because flat cork barks could work too but pokies feel more secure in round cork barks and if you keep their enclosure well ventilated and soak substrate when its completely dry as well as keeping water dish at all times they should be able to survive :) pokies are hardy species but they still like some humidity thats why sphagnum moss could be useful too :)

Lemon

Those are great species! :D this is just a suggestion because flat cork barks could work too but pokies feel more secure in round cork barks and if you keep their enclosure well ventilated and soak substrate when its completely dry as well as keeping water dish at all times they should be able to survive :) pokies are hardy species but they still like some humidity thats why sphagnum moss could be useful too :)
I'll keep this in mind! Thank you very much for not making a whole article and just subbing their husbandry up just fine! Makes things much more easy to understand!

SullivanC

I'll keep this in mind! Thank you very much for not making a whole article and just subbing their husbandry up just fine! Makes things much more easy to understand!
I am keeping the pokies this way and they always molted successfully :) to prevent opening lid often you can even make special feeding/watering holes that way you can take care of them without having to open the lid so it would make them get less stressful everytime its feeding and watering time :) I only open lid for cleaning and rehousing and this method has been very useful so far but make sure special holes arent big enough for the tarantula to escape. Since pokies are fast tarantulas this method could make feeding and watering safer without them having the possibility of escape, of course you have to open lid for cleaning and rehousing but I know ways to make those safe as well :)

Lemon

I am keeping the pokies this way and they always molted successfully :) to prevent opening lid often you can even make special feeding/watering holes that way you can take care of them without having to open the lid so it would make them get less stressful everytime its feeding and watering time :) I only open lid for cleaning and rehousing and this method has been very useful so far but make sure special holes arent big enough for the tarantula to escape. Since pokies are fast tarantulas this method could make feeding and watering safer without them having the possibility of escape, of course you have to open lid for cleaning and rehousing but I know ways to make those safe as well :)
I'll look at them next! I no longer have any arboreals so some pokies would be awesome!

ta122

All those species grow fast and won't stay 1" for long. They are all generally known to be defensive, and the younger they are, the more afraid, so watch for hair kicking. There aren't a ton of differences besides what has already been mentioned. Don't give a sling so much space that they can't find their food, but if you aren't over feeding, I'm sure that won't be an issue. Phormictopus as well as the feisty, Brazilian species will put on a show at meal time.

Lemon

All those species grow fast and won't stay 1" for long. They are all generally known to be defensive, and the younger they are, the more afraid, so watch for hair kicking. There aren't a ton of differences besides what has already been mentioned. Don't give a sling so much space that they can't find their food, but if you aren't over feeding, I'm sure that won't be an issue. Phormictopus as well as the feisty, Brazilian species will put on a show at meal time.
Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not too worried about bolting speeds cause I had a tappie at one point, I still understand that the speed can definitely catch me off guard sometimes though