• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to tell the sex of my Brazillian Giant Blonde ?

chabro

3 Year Member
Hi I'm kind of new to tarantula keeping, just wanted to know from the experts how to tell if my Giant Blonde is male or female...what do I look for? Any help would be much appreciated. .. thanks

Sabeth

3 Year Member
To be 100% accurate you need to look at the inside of the exuvium (cast "skin") of a freshly molted T. At the very front of the abdomen, right where it meets the prosoma (the T's "head", so to speak), females will have a small leaf-like flap, called the epigynal fold, which they use for storing eggs. Males will not have this fold.

The two sexes also have external characteristics which set them apart from each other, although these are not totally reliable. Females are larger and generally have more bulk (a bigger abdomen). Males are often smaller, more lanky and their legs are longer. They also have clubbed pedipalps, and the males of many species have tibial hooks on their forelegs. But again, the only way to tell sex for certain is to examine the molt.

chabro

3 Year Member
Hi there, thanks guys, much appreciated, will be waiting for it to molt, I also read somewhere, for this specific specie, the male tarantula has black legs, don't know how true that is...