• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often and how much should i feed my juvenile curly hair ?

Nito99

Managed to get my t to eat a live mealworm about an hour ago and it got me thinking, how often should i be feeding the little guy ? The mealworm i gave him was a reasonable size, i saw online that a decent amount is 3-4 a week but it doesnt specify whether that is all at once or every couple of days ? And would it be wise to change his feeders every once in a while or just stick to the worms ? Ill attach a pic but its not exactly 10/10 glare from the enclosure ruins it a tad :3 ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-235442_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220312-235442_Video Player.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220312_233123.jpg
    20220312_233123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
Hello! Nice spider. One of the first, and least problematic, that I started with.

Your tarantula already seems to be a pretty healthy size. With mealworms that comparatively big, I think 3-4 a week could soon result in a very swollen T! The most I feed is once or twice a week, and that strongly depends on prey size too. I think you could pare that down a lot more and your T wouldn't suffer too much. Take a look at Octanejunkie's stickied topic on the matter:

I've read books and online experiences where a keeper might feed a large spider as many crickets as they can hold in their fangs at any one time, but again, that's got a bit to do with prey size and is followed by a longer period of no feeding. In your situation, maybe stick to one at a time.

It couldn't hurt to shake up the prey species from time to time. I think there's some obscure study on the nutrient content of mealworms that ended up with them being alternately praised as high in fat for sling/juvie growth and condemned as low in nutrients. Anyway, it's not something that would keep me up at night, but alternating with tubs of crickets or whatever feeders you can get wouldn't be too indulgent either.
(Based on my personal preference and your experience with millipedes, I don't think it'd be too impractical to set up a wee colony of pet/feeder roaches ;))

Nito99

Hello! Nice spider. One of the first, and least problematic, that I started with.

Your tarantula already seems to be a pretty healthy size. With mealworms that comparatively big, I think 3-4 a week could soon result in a very swollen T! The most I feed is once or twice a week, and that strongly depends on prey size too. I think you could pare that down a lot more and your T wouldn't suffer too much. Take a look at Octanejunkie's stickied topic on the matter:

I've read books and online experiences where a keeper might feed a large spider as many crickets as they can hold in their fangs at any one time, but again, that's got a bit to do with prey size and is followed by a longer period of no feeding. In your situation, maybe stick to one at a time.

It couldn't hurt to shake up the prey species from time to time. I think there's some obscure study on the nutrient content of mealworms that ended up with them being alternately praised as high in fat for sling/juvie growth and condemned as low in nutrients. Anyway, it's not something that would keep me up at night, but alternating with tubs of crickets or whatever feeders you can get wouldn't be too indulgent either.
(Based on my personal preference and your experience with millipedes, I don't think it'd be too impractical to set up a wee colony of pet/feeder roaches ;))
Thanks for the detailed response my dude :D ! setting up some feeder roaches wouldnt be a bad idea at all, greatly appreciated!

Latest posts