• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How not to bother tarentula's with light

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hello !

As everyone or almost everyone, nobody wants a flashlight straight in the eyes.

The place where I "stock" my T's is a bit dark so I dont have many other choices if I wanna see them than using a light that I'm trying to cover with my shirt to down the intensity. But does anyone knows some kinds of lights that cant harm tarentula's sight ?

Wishing you a nice day :)

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Tarantulas have very poor vision and the light will not harm them. It just makes them run for cover or stop their activities. Tarantulas cant see the red side of the spectrum so you can use as bright red led light as you can find or cover a normal flashlight lens with red tint.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes light is beneficial. It can run them into the hide or burrow so you can safely open the cage, change the water etc.

A tap on the side and a bright light are all I need to safely feed my balfouri without any escapes.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I noticed that it depend of the T, my chilobrachys and lasiodora seems a bit bothered by light, but my chromaltopelma never ran away because of a bright light :)

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it

Latest posts