• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much moisture?

Nagualli96

3 Year Member
My spidderling Mexican Redleg is on a substrate mixture of topsoil and peat moss (not fertilizers!!) With 2 fake leaves. The side of the enclosure he is in has instructions on temp and humidity. It says to keep temp at 77-85 degrees and humidity at 50-70%. I have just made sure there was a little bit of moisture on the walls and the soil is darkened in areas!

Any suggestions to help me out with knowing how much moisture is perfect?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ignore the info on the side. Keep him at room temp. if you're comfy in a t-shirt he'll be fine. I keep mine 75-80 year round. Humidity percentage is just a headache. Ignore it. All you need for him is a water dish and keep it full. I overflow my waterdish during premolt and if i catch them molting. Other than that just keep it full.

They love to burrow, you'll want a little moisture in the substrate mix you're using, If you can squeeze the substrate and it releases moisture it's too damp.

Nagualli96

3 Year Member
You are amazing! Thank you so much! That makes me feel better and I think I can breath a little easier now that I have some good info! Lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:D Welcome to the forums btw. B. emilia (mexican red leg) is an amazing T. They'll dig alot until they're about 1.5" dls (diagonal leg span, front to back) then they come out and sit in the open saying look at me! You'll see the legs start turning red when they're about 3/4" dls, or mine did anyway

Edit: i get these common names confused ;) i was thinking of my B. boehmei but it's the B. emilia. Fixed that. My B. emilia is still tiny, maybe 1/2" if even that. So we'll have to see if she matures like the boehmei, colors and coming out into the open more :)

syzygy

3 Year Member
Edit: i get these common names confused ;) i was thinking of my B. boehmei but it's the B. emilia. Fixed that. My B. emilia is still tiny, maybe 1/2" if even that. So we'll have to see if she matures like the boehmei, colors and coming out into the open more :)

Funny thing is that I assumed she was referring to B.smithi. Brachy common names are confusing!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My emilia is juvenile and hasn't made the first attempt to burrow or use the hide. Most energy I see is eating and guarding the water dish.
Think the emilia is the prettiest of the 'red-leg type T's :)
Here's my Brimba. Fully colored just not bright adult colors yet. About 2.5-3"
image.png

Chris LXXIX

3 Year Member
I keep genus Brachypelma slings with a part of the substrate slightly moist, at room temperature. I don't use a water dish when it comes to slings, but I don't suggest this to others.