• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can I get the best temp and humidity for my T

Joemaster

image.jpg
He is also a Mexican Red knee

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First thing to do, is to forget the term "humidity." Keep a water container in the enclosure & moisten a small area of the substrate on rotation.

Brachypelma are desert species & do not need much moisture at all. But always keep a small area of the substrate lightly moist & then allow it to almost dry out before moistening another area. This stops mold from becoming an issue.

I simply move my water container within the enclosure every couple of weeks & overflow it a little.

With heat, if your home is warm enough for you, then it is warm enough for your T. So for most of us extra heating is not needed & if you do really feel the need for extra warmth, then take some time to think about what you are going to do, as it is very easy to overheat a T & dehydrate it & thus kill it. NEVER use a heat mat under an enclosure, as T's burrow to escape heat & thus get quickly killed by heat mats under an enclosure.

I have used a heat cable to provide some extra warmth around my T shelves in the past. But found even keeping that cable away from direct contact with my enclosures. It was still drying out my enclosures too quickly & thus almost certainly dehydrating my T's too.

Daytime in a desert maybe hotter than the room you keep your T in. But that does not mean your T is happy with desert heat, as in the wild they stay out of the sun for much of the day & also don't forget deserts normally get very cold at night. So is your room that cold for your T?

Latest posts